almost lost some gear today

medic7a

Apr 30, 2013
Placerville, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So I took the kids out today on a local creek to run the sluice for a few hours. After a few hours some guy comes charging out of the bushes yelling obscenities about us being on his property and what makes us think we can gold mine on his property and we needed to get the @#%^ of his property now. Told him we would be clean up our gear and leave and the guy kept coming across the creek yelling and cussing and insisting we leave our gear and our gold. First, there were no "no trespassing" signs and we had no idea we were on private property. Second, I get it. I wouldn't want anyone on my property either. But grow up, a simple "hey, your trespassing take your stuff and leave" would have been sufficient. I was able to talk the guy down and we retrieved our stuff and left peacefully. The guy really wanted to fight, I don't get it. I wouldn't have gone up the creek if there would have been signs. I was in the wrong, but come on don't be a super whiskey tango when kids are around.

Upvote 0
Considering where you are located in CA, it sounds more like the chap could have
had weed growing nearby, and just wanted you and the family out of there.

If you can get the GPS coordinates or Range, Township and 1/4 section
you can look up and see who actually owns the property.

Go to county recorders office as the tax accessors can locate,provide the #s and recorder files will fill in the blanks. Sounds like bud to me too as any concerned owner usually-by law-posts signs unlees a grow-John

Sounds like you hit up the tubs, had the same type of thing happen to me and my wife. We made our way down her moms property to a big swimming spot and ran into a complete donkey. Some creeks and rivers have public access through out the system but some people think they own the creek too. The key is accessing it on legal ground and walking the high water line down to the spot and always staying between the high water lines. DYODD

Hate to rain on your party but you should have done your homework first before placing you and your family in that position. Always check to see if its, state, federal, or private land. The outcome could have been a whole lot worse with some of the nutty people living in the backcountry..

medic7a; said:
Ok viper everytime I take the kids out to a trail or creek near town limits I will make sure I go down to the county office and check property boundries. Is there an app for this? Im not looking for a party. I was just sharing something that happened to me............

Well you ask and there is software that you can use to check who owns the land. Was not trying to be mean, but as a hunter and prospector you need to know who owns the land you walk and in your case searching for gold. Within your state there is a lot of wacky tobacky being grown in the back country and these idiots would have no problem dealing with you in a very unkindly way. There are many people in these forums that would tell you the same thing, I just happen to be the first, so do as you please. Was just trying to be helpful.

CHECK WHO OWNS THE LAND

[video=vimeo;48407429]http://vimeo.com/48407429[/video]

Last edited:
Another very good reason to decriminalize and legalize marijuana. Take the profit out of the hands of the bad guys and tax the stuff. Gets rid of the associated violence, eliminate law enforcement and judicial costs, can generate tax $$$ to reduce the budget deficit and can put people to work. Guess we didn't learn the lessons that liquor prohibition should have taught everyone. Just my opinion.

he wasn't in he forest he was actually in/near town I know the spot and people used to go there all the time, and downstream is an area that some homeless camp. REgardless of if he was tresspassing all you can legally do is ask a tresspasser to leave and call the sheriff and when he comes all he can do is the same it is when you refuse to leave that things change for the trespasser. so if Medica7 was in the wrong spot he now knows and was saying he would leave and had every right to not forfiet his gear.The creek he was on is actually legal to hike and fish for trout as long as you are below Highwater line you can cross the private property on that drainage, not all creeks in El Dorado County have such designation but, this one does...and when some property owner comes down and see a guy with his two young kids he should chill the F$#@ out.....and legally had it escsalated as it sounds like these two full grown men confronting Medica wanted it to and Medica felt he and his kids were threatened he would have had the legal right to protect himself...yes yes yes know where you are ....and I know first hand what it is like to have people constantly trespass on your land...but, I also know that there is no reason that these fellows should have trpiped out on medica the way they did.

The weed crops are going to start their bud growth any time now which really raises the grower's anxiety levels. Whether or not this is the case here, be extra cautious our there this time of year!

AzViper, that data source (hunting GPS maps) looks pretty cool, but it appears to only show land ownership. i.e. It doesn't keep up with or show current claims on BLM land. Is that correct?

AzViper, that data source (hunting GPS maps) looks pretty cool, but it appears to only show land ownership. i.e. It doesn't keep up with or show current claims on BLM land. Is that correct?

Correct, I thought in some earlier post months back someone had state by state maps with claim info. I may be wrong though. I tried searching for that post and could not find it.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back