Aluminum Screw on Bottle Caps with the AT Pro

Rustynailsandscrews

Sep 26, 2014
Salem, NY
Detector(s) used
AT PRO and a BH 505 that I let friends and relatives I don't like use.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any way to deal with Aluminum screw on bottle caps ? These were once common on quart size beer bottles. I'm in an area full of them. They ring in as a good target. They are ringing in 76 to 79 in the small silver range. I'm running in Pro Zero and tried Pro coin with the same results as I suspect Pro Coin picks up the circular shape of the bottle cap and Id's it as a coin. Is there a subtle signal that I'm missing ? It wouldn't be impossible that I could miss a subtle signal wearing headphones as I do have some hearing loss. I'm hunting a mid 1800's house that could have some potential as it's never been hunted before. Does the Pro give off a burp, fart, or a grunt that I should be looking for or do I just have to dig all the dirt demons that are in disguise without notching 76 to 79 out ?

I would love to know the same thing..

Bottle caps and 22 shell casings are a problem for me also . All you can do is dig them . I would stay in pro zero instead of coin mode .

Aluminum caps are sweet silver tones on all machines. All you can do is clean them out.

They are but on a Deus you will get an iron buzz when you wiggle the coil to the edge of the bottle cap.

It really is difficult to tell them apart. Like they said earlier, clean them out so that you dont have to deal with them later! I don't know if its me or my machine but coins sound a little softer. Aluminum screw caps sound more bold. Same pitch but softer on coins and bolder on caps. In the end it's quite difficult. I have 2+ years of expirience with my machine. Great machine too!

Even if you can tell the difference, they may be masking a good target so your better off to get rid of them.

HH RN

try raising the coil as you go over them and see if the signal breaks up. I do this for the other bottle caps and it seems to work

Bottle caps and 22 shell casings are a problem for me also . All you can do is dig them . I would stay in pro zero instead of coin mode .

I have had my fair share of run in's with .22 caliber shells and they also can sound good !!!!

It really is difficult to tell them apart. Like they said earlier, clean them out so that you dont have to deal with them later! I don't know if its me or my machine but coins sound a little softer. Aluminum screw caps sound more bold. Same pitch but softer on coins and bolder on caps. In the end it's quite difficult. I have 2+ years of expirience with my machine. Great machine too!

Probably too subtle of a difference for me to pick up on due to some of my hearing loss.

Aluminum caps are sweet silver tones on all machines. All you can do is clean them out.

Well I have a lot of cleaning out to do. I found one today a solid 6" down and was convinced that it had to be a coin at that depth. Of course NOT !!!
By the research I have done, these aluminum caps have been around 25 to 30 years. So a very light weight aluminum cap with a plastic liner sank 6" in that time span with no damage or being crushed. So much for Cherry Picking high signals at this spot !!!

It is going to be hard to determine which signal is a screw cap on ATP because if its circuity. Few other detectors can properly disc these out. Only recourse is to dig if you stick with single freq. detectors.

Even tho you would probably dig them anyway, coins alway's seem to have a sharp cut off point. Hard to pass up a signal tho!!

With the right headphones and sweep speed I've found that most of these make a subtle "thunk" on the edges when you go over them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back