What's new

Aluminum?

Kdawson

Greenie
Joined
Jan 24, 2019
Messages
12
Reaction score
34
Golden Thread
0
Location
MO
Detector(s) used
Garret 300, urceri pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not sure what these are. I found them in two different spots
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20190126_175132810.webp
    IMG_20190126_175132810.webp
    193.7 KB · Views: 161
looks like melted aluminum...is it lightweight?
 
Upvote 0
Yes it is. It is not magnetic. But I thought that metal detectors could not detect aluminium
 
Upvote 0
Yes it is. It is not magnetic. But I thought that metal detectors could not detect aluminium

If you can't find aluminum you can't find the gold...lol Yep, they can find all metals and even some 'hot rocks'...keep plugging away:thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
Yep, I'll be out again tomorrow, I also found today a bunch of bones from a white tail deer that died years ago. I actually found the slug that killed it. That was a cool find.
 
Upvote 0
I think my detector is broken. It's not finding gold or silver. But.. but it's a new year. I got creeped out once when I found deer bones and just the middle part of the arrow shaft.
 
Upvote 0
Yes it is. It is not magnetic. But I thought that metal detectors could not detect aluminium

Yes Grasshoppa', detector's find aluminum. I'm almost done scraping the top layer of a park I've been working. Almost down to the good stuff.pull-tabs-071317 (2).webp

All kidding aside, aluminum may be one of the biggest reason's you have to dig many iffy signals.

Looks like melted aluminum. Good Luck out there
 
Upvote 0
Over enough time with your detector, you'll become pretty good at recognizing signals by their sound. :icon_thumleft:
You'll eventually start saying in your head 'can-slaw', 'soda-can lid', 'pull-tab' and my favorite... 'beer bottle top'... I find Corona & Heineken sound the best!

I started with the ACE 350, but upgraded to the AT PRO after a year as I found I wasn't getting enough information from the ground with the ACE Series detectors.
Don't get me wrong, the ACE is a great detector to start out on, but when you're detecting 500 - 600hrs a year the ACE just doesn't cut the mustard. :tongue3:

Best of luck to you,
Dave
 
Upvote 0
Try swinging your coil over a pop can and get ready lol
 
Upvote 0
Kdawson,
Only Garretts detect aluminum...:laughing7:
Looks like your pieces are from a campfire or BBQ that someone threw a can into.
You have to dig that stuff if you want to dig any Gold jewelry.
Good luck and be patient.

and Welcome to TreasureNet :hello:
 
Upvote 0
Yes it is. It is not magnetic. But I thought that metal detectors could not detect aluminium

Besides regular metal... ALL detectors are REALLY good at finding aluminum.

At times I think they design them that way and any other signal is secondary. heh
 
Upvote 0
It would be nice to have an anti-aluminum detector wouldn't it? But then you'd miss out on some beavertails, canslaw, window frames, food wrappers, and the occasional '70's Mt. Dew token....lol
 
Upvote 0
It would be nice to have an anti-aluminum detector wouldn't it? But then you'd miss out on some beavertails, canslaw, window frames, food wrappers, and the occasional '70's Mt. Dew token....lol

finding aluminum isn't always bad though. I've found some nice trade tokens, tax tokens, and other assorted goodies that were aluminum
 
Upvote 0
Ehhh I found and aluminum hard hat once.

Fits great. :P

Best aluminum find ever though was an entire thick cast aluminum rare EARLY Chris Craft window from a yacht that must have went down... 20 foot from water line in dry sand and 15 inches down...

Get this... the glass was intact and operational... covered in barnacles.

Aluminum cleaned up and so did the glass after years underwater and then sand... had little to some pitting.

I had it for awhile as a great décor... then after a really great offer ended up selling it.

BTW ... was 24 inches by 12

EDIT- Wait... wrong... was larger...

And... I cleaned half with the "Chris Craft" logo... and did diagonally..

Sorry memory serves me when it feels like it. :P
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
imagesS8E5L5HF.webp

Very similar to this but much larger / longer.
 
Upvote 0
I cleaned the upper "D" half like new... and left the "y-x" area with barnacles etc... looked really neat... finally got an offer I couldn't refuse and from someone who really fell in love with it.

ffgfg.webp

The words "Chris Craft" were raised in alum... in stylized way larger and bold in upper left corner running left to right.
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom