ALWAYS PICK UP A PENNY

flashyace

Sep 26, 2013
southern Michigan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter IV
when I was around 12 my mother was taking a friend and me to get some ice cream at the local ice cream shop. All 3 of us were in the front our Buick LeSabre and I found a penny and threw it out the window :BangHead: as soon as I did that I felt a 3 carat diamond scrap across my face and my mother screaming at me "what the hell are you thinking!?". We continued to the ice cream shop while my friend got ice cream I got nothing except a red face and a very hard lesson learned, since that day I have never thought about throwing a penny away. If I see one laying on the ground I cant walk by it I must pick it up. I'm thankful for ALL clad I find, 2 years with a bounty hunter saving every penny I find for a AT PRO. Walking back from getting coffee with the family, we cut through a parking and I see some a couple pennies well after I hurry over there my 15 yr old daughter says "OMG are really going to pick that up?" I replied "A penny saved is a penny earned" she laughed and said whatever, Well apparently she forgot that 4 months ago I took 6 bank bags full of coins to the bank after saving every penny I found was over $1,300.
my 9 year old has followed after me and is a penny pincher and has a bank account and has learned to save, now how do I teach a 15 year old to save????????????

whammy

Oct 23, 2012
Conquest New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heehee, not sure if you can teach a 15 year old anything. Sounds like the 9 year old has got his act together. I'm the same way, if I see a penny on the ground, it's mine. Just can't pass it up, although if my wife is with me and another person is around, I'll walk past, and when they are past me, I turn around and get that coin. Don't want to embarrass the boss, but she knows I will scoop it up.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am the same way when it comes to change. I used to curb hunt years ago when my daughter was 15. One night I had to pick her up after basketball practice. Driving down the street I noticed a snowblower on the curb. My daughter asked what was I doing? She was so embarrassed and laid the passenger seat as far back as she could. I pulled up and asked the guy "does it run" He said yes, he just wanted a bigger one. When we got home with the snowblower, I immediately put it in my yard with a FOR SALE sign. Sold it in about 30 minutes. She was still shocked that I picked up a snowblower from the curb, but saw how easy you can make some extra cash.

When my kids were small, 4, 8, & 12, I began taking them to a store that sold candy. I gave each a dollar and then explained that you can get what ever you want it. I then talked economics and the benefit of buying penny candies. You get enough to last a week, or you can splurge on a big candy bar and enjoy the moment. The oldest went for the candy bar and the 2 younger went for the penny candies. Two out of three ain't bad.

Last edited:

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah... I used to clean my office and just throw pennies in the trash. When I started metal detecting and spent 8 hours, to come home with only 20 pennies, I began to really value those pennies. After a few months I had a jar full of $50 in pennies and other coins. Lesson learned! A penny is not just a penny when you have 5000 of them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread