Aug 25, 2004
Northern Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello happy diggers-

I would like to offer some very friendly helpful advise with respect to digging a target, any target. Many may disagree with me here, but I think it is important to RESCAN all dig holes, to ensure you've not left a valuable target in the hole.

As a relic hunter since 1998, I can admit that it is easy to get lazy at times when you're out in the field swinging your detector and digging away, and I too have been guilty (on accasion), by not always recanning my dig holes from time to time. However that all changed on April 9, 2011, when I dug my first US Yankee Belt Buckle in Almost pristeen condition, in the western part of Virginia where I live.

Lat month, when I was digging with my 2 relic hunting buddies, I got a very good hit on my F-75, at about 3 inches down, when I proceeded to dig the hole, I noticed a piece of wire sticking out the ground, a few inches from where I was actually digging. I threw away the metal scrap wire in my junk bucket which was 10 feet away, and I thought to myself," let me rescan the hole just in case."

Low and behold, when I did rescan the hole a second time, I got a very good bullet tone at about another 5 inches still in the hole from where I first dug. I also noticed that the ground looked like it had a shovel mark, but the digger left after seeing the metal wire which I did not see until I first dug the target.

After rescanning a second time, I dug about 5 inches or so of dirt out of the same hole and found myself staring inside of the hole at the backside of an oval disk with hooks. I was thinking to myself that this is one big bullet I dug or strange bullet at that.

After pulling the target out of the ground, I was looking at my First US Yankee Belt Buckle, which I would never have ever imagined I would ever dig such a most sought after and coveted civil war relic-a buckle.

Yes I am thankful for the good Lord to allow me to dig such an historic civil war relic, but I am also thankful for the having the presence of mind to recan my dig hole, because if I had not, my beautiful buckle would still be lying in the ground, awaiting another successful digger to retreive it from its earthly grip!

Remember, always always rescan your dig holes, otherwise you are just leaving your treaure for other more successful relic hunters to dig up!

Best-

Wayne

www.personal-goal-setting.com/relic-hunter.html

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might I add also. When searching sand such as beaches lakes tot lots etc, keep an eye on what's falling from your sifter. A couple weeks ago, got a hit on a penny. While shaking the sand out of the scoop I saw a diamond / CZ fall on the ground. It turned out to only be a good sized CZ, but if I had been looking only in the scoop I would've missed it.

And you bet I did grid search a large area around it just in case :icon_thumright: Sadly, didn't find the ring too.

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always rescan the holes, and after finding a coin, also do a more thorough search within three feet of the hole. I hardly find just one lonely coin, usually it has a friend nearby.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPS brought my Ace 250 about 6pm @ night,so I put it all together and for the next 2 hours I pulled 6 pennies & some junk out of my front yard.The next day I went back over some of my holes along with a pinpointer and my Ace and found more money in the same holes from the night before.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions