boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gave a friend a ride home last night so I put my detector in the truck bed.
Forgot it and it got rained on.
It’s an MXTPRO
Guess after it dries out I’ll hope it’s not fried.
Welcome to the club. I assumed it. Was a right of passage like wearing steel toed boots. You're only classified as dumb after you do it the third time.

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Gave a friend a ride home last night so I put my detector in the truck bed.
Forgot it and it got rained on.
It’s an MXTPRO
Guess after it dries out I’ll hope it’s not fried.
Oh man I hope it’s ok! I once went detecting in South Carolina for a day hunt. Only to leave at the end of the day. Stopped for gas 50 miles later and realized I left my detector in the field some where. Argh! Had to go back and get it.

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.
OOOOPSY!

I second that rice suggestion.

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As long as you haven't turned it on. I would remove the batteries and try the rice. submerge the whole control box in rice for a few days should do the trick. _ I'm curious to know if anyone has resorted to this? I have ruined one machine but I'm almost certain it was because I turned it on too soon after it got rained on.

OP
OP
Peyton Manning

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I took the battery pack out and have it sitting in the sun

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.
I took the battery pack out and have it sitting in the sun
If it was a riceless me I would hang it up in the shade with the battery door propped open.

I would do this for several low humidity days. Bring it inside for couple hours, look for condensation in screen, and battery compartment interior. Repeat if needed.

Hope a capacitor didn't fry, or a chip go dippity dip.

Last edited:

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Let's talk dumb though. I took my Equinox 800, equipped with the new 10x5 coil, to a dog park 30 miles away, along with my dog BTW. The dog factors in. I got distracted packing up being the dog was muddy, and left my detector laying in front of the public parking lot, close to a trash can. It was 4 hours later that I discovered my trunk had no 800 and coil. FOUR hours! I ran there immediately with my heart racing, feeling stupid. The first place I chose to look was a failure, but it was my last, and logical place to look, being the last spot before packing up.

It was at the first trash barrel, sorta secluded behind the big pipe used to block vehicles from driving into the park turf.

The feeling of finding that kind of investment still there was numbing. I wouldn't give a single odd to find that gear after 4 total hours. There were 4 vehicles parked neatly near that pipe also.

I suspect the MXT is ok, unless it was in a low spot in the truck bed and was submerged at all. Those machines are surely somewhat water resistant.

Last edited:

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Over the years there have been several unfortunate souls who left their detectors in the driveway or parking lot and then ran over them. At least yours has the potential to be okay.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Peyton Manning

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don’t jinx me!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make sure it is completely dry before you power it up, it should be fine as long as it is dry when turned on.

Try to put the control box and display screen in separate bags of rice for a couple of days to absorb any moisture.

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haven't done it with my detector yet, but 25 years ago I went pheasant hunting after work, then left my shotgun in a soft case, in the bed of my truck. It was a couple days later after a soaking rain that I remembered I didn't put it away. I hate rust on a firearm. Still have it, still works fine.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I laid the chargers and couplers to 2 Minelab Excalibur's on trailer because hands were full and needed to set them down somewhere quick...

Remembered as i was doing 70 on the interstate. $150+ hit

Lost a Vibraprobe 580 and have no clue where how or when. heh another almost $150 hit.

And i know i am forgetting something else.... i have been fortunate i guess.

Ed_DE

Feb 23, 2019
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use to put my bicycle in my truck bed. One time I left my bike in the parking lot without putting it in my truck. The next day I came back for a bike ride and two guys where standing by a bike saying the bike was there for over a day and they where talking about taking it to the police station. We where laughing about how somebody could forget their bike. That's when I realized it was my bike. I was a little embarrassed to say the least.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
A buddy of mine leaned his Sampson shovel against his truck after we hunted and drove off and left it. I parked in the same exact spot on a hunt there later during another hunt, and left my 36" Ground Shark against my vehicle and did the same thing. Bizarre.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread