am I missing something concerning sterling flatware?

Lucky Jack

Jul 31, 2007
I just came from an antique store where I bought two Lunt sterling soup spoons for $28.00. I made sure they said "sterling" on the back and the pattern is "modern victorian". When I weighed them they total 82.2 grams. With silver at $38.50 that's almost $100 in silver. So did I get a great deal (I think so) or is there something about flatware that makes it undesireable as silver bullion?

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
Lucky Jack said:
I just came from an antique store where I bought two Lunt sterling soup spoons for $28.00. I made sure they said "sterling" on the back and the pattern is "modern victorian". When I weighed them they total 82.2 grams. With silver at $38.50 that's almost $100 in silver. So did I get a great deal (I think so) or is there something about flatware that makes it undesireable as silver bullion?
I don't think sterling flatware is considered bullion it is only 92.5 % sterling silver.. 82.5 grams is a lil over 3troy oz troy oz is how precious metals are weighed so yes you got a good deal...

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of flatware that is stamped "Sterling" really isn't. It's sometimes silver plated even though it has the "Sterling" stamp. I too learned this the hard way when I tried selling half of a "sterling" spoon (yes, it was cut in half) and was turned away. When using a magnifying glass to check it out, you can see the plating over the base metal on the cross-section. Flatware, for whatever reason, is especially vulnerable to being fake sterling.

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
Customx_12 said:
A lot of flatware that is stamped "Sterling" really isn't. It's sometimes silver plated even though it has the "Sterling" stamp. I too learned this the hard way when I tried selling half of a "sterling" spoon (yes, it was cut in half) and was turned away. When using a magnifying glass to check it out, you can see the plating over the base metal on the cross-section. Flatware, for whatever reason, is especially vulnerable to being fake sterling.
i sold over 100 troy oz of flatware an never had a problem..I think you mistake what you had to be sterling when it wasn't an was properly marked or your buying newer chinese import crap

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Dont some sterling knives in flatware sets have a stainless blade and sterling handle? Might want to check that out.

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
creeper71 said:
Customx_12 said:
i sold over 100 troy oz of flatware an never had a problem..I think you mistake what you had to be sterling when it wasn't an was properly marked or your buying newer chinese import crap

I'm not really sure why you're taking this personally. A stamp of "Sterling" does not mean it is sterling. Sorry you find this offensive. And for what it's worth, I'm not buying "newer Chinese import crap". In fact, I'm not buying much silver right now at all. I gave one example of a half spoon from the WWII era that was stamped "Sterling" but was fake. The professional metallurgist I brought it to told me that silverware is especially vulnerable to being faked. Again, I'm just stating facts and not attacking you personally. Calm down.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jerseyben said:
Dont some sterling knives in flatware sets have a stainless blade and sterling handle? Might want to check that out.
Not only do many have stainless blades but some also have weighted handles or "loaded" handles. Unless it's a solid one piece construction knife then be suspect. As for fake marked Sterling, I haven't run across any yet. I've heard it exists and I know they make lesser "grade" silver objects in Mexico too.

jnkhntr

Feb 6, 2009
Central Florida
Here’s the math: 1 troy oz = 31.1 grams

82.2 grams / 31.1 = 2.64308 troy oz

Sterling silver is .925 pure

2.64308 troy oz x .925 = 2.44485 troy oz

2.44485 troy oz x $38.50 = $94.13

$94.13 - $28.00 = $66.13

$66.13 - $6.61 = $59.52 (10% goes to refiner)

$59.52 = good deal

Go to this site (http://www.silverrecyclers.com/Calculators/gold_calculator.aspx)
and it will do the math for you. It won’t show the minus 10 % to refiner
But will do the rest of the math.

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
diggummup said:
jerseyben said:
Not only do many have stainless blades but some also have weighted handles or "loaded" handles. Unless it's a solid one piece construction knife then be suspect. As for fake marked Sterling, I haven't run across any yet. I've heard it exists and I know they make lesser "grade" silver objects in Mexico too.
I'm with you Diggum.. I never ran into that problem yet ,but I never heard of such a thing before.. I know alot of people don't understand alot of the marks an assume plated is sterling.. That is all I was trying to say in my first post...

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
creeper71 said:
diggummup said:
jerseyben said:
I'm with you Diggum.. I never ran into that problem yet ,but I never heard of such a thing before.. I know alot of people don't understand alot of the marks an assume plated is sterling.. That is all I was trying to say in my first post...

Well now you guys are making me think that this may be a California phenomenon. The guy I talked to said that they see it all the time and with silver prices going up, they get fakes several times a day. They're even getting them with the "925" mark and everything now.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I have personally picked up chains marked Italy 925 that were rusty and attracted to a magnet. Fakes are out there.

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
jerseyben said:
I have personally picked up chains marked Italy 925 that were rusty and attracted to a magnet. Fakes are out there.
now that I know is a fact, but we're talking about flatware ie knives,forks an spoons

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Hallmarks are lies. First it hits the magnet, then the acid.

100% of all the sterling I have come across is marked as such. Unless you have an antique made in the early 1800's it will say "Sterling", "925", or both.

On the other hand, I have run across MANY pieces (of jewelry anyway) that were marked as sterling but actually were not.

And Mexican silversmiths are some of the best out there. The Taxco stuff is really nice. I can't speak for the ChiComs though...

JD-GA

Feb 2, 2010
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
jnkhntr said:
Here’s the math: 1 troy oz = 31.1 grams

82.2 grams / 31.1 = 2.64308 troy oz

Sterling silver is .925 pure

2.64308 troy oz x .925 = 2.44485 troy oz

2.44485 troy oz x $38.50 = $94.13

$94.13 - $28.00 = $66.13

$66.13 - $6.61 = $59.52 (10% goes to refiner)

$59.52 = good deal

Go to this site (http://www.silverrecyclers.com/Calculators/gold_calculator.aspx)
and it will do the math for you. It won’t show the minus 10 % to refiner
But will do the rest of the math.

Really close! The refinery will take 10% of the final silver tally. Not 10% of the final tally after asking what the seller payed for it. Still a good deal.

One must be very careful buying sterling flatware at those kind of prices. It only takes one piece of plated or counterfeit and you lose big. A magnet is nearly useless when searching flatware as people did not make forks and spoons out of rustable/magnetic material for obvious reasons. The Sterling, .925, SS, Ster marks arent entirely reliable. I see flatware several times a week and would have lost many a bet guessing. Without being able to test it with a file and acid I wouldnt pay 5% of weight value. Of course testing it im paying my customer 80% plus so its easily checked if you can test.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hombre_de_plata_flaco said:
And Mexican silversmiths are some of the best out there. The Taxco stuff is really nice. I can't speak for the ChiComs though...
I agree about the Taxco stuff. I would never melt any of it. There are many Taxco collectors.

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
diggummup said:
I agree about the Taxco stuff. I would never melt any of it. There are many Taxco collectors.
I don't think I ever seen Taxco.. is that a company name an is is marked Taxco?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
creeper71 said:
diggummup said:
I don't think I ever seen Taxco.. is that a company name an is is marked Taxco?

Taxco is a city in Mexico famous for it's silver jewelry production. There are many marks for Taxco, thats a subject all in itself, with some marks identifying specific silversmiths among other things. Vintage pieces command some decent prices. Do a completed listing search on ebay for Vintage Taxco and sort by highest price + shipping first you'll see what I mean.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread