DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
My wife hands me a Canadian dime stuck to my magnet pile. Date is 1952/
2002. Must be commemorating something. But Iron?? I thought zinc was the low ball.

Iron dime.JPG

It commemorates the Queens golden jubilee.

Last edited:
Actually the metal nickel is magnetic which is why your coin sticks to a magnet. No iron in the coin. Older Canadian nickles are also magnetic. i discovered that when I was a teen back in the 1960s. These Canadian coins will be rejected by coinstar machines due to their magnetic qualities. The Canadians use more nickel than we do in our coins. Cobalt is also magnetic although not iron related.

Last edited:
Actually the metal nickel is magnetic which is why your coin sticks to a magnet. No iron in the coin. Older Canadian nickles are also magnetic. i discovered that when I was a teen back in the 1960s. These Canadian coins will be rejected by coinstar machines due to their magnetic qualities. The Canadians use more nickel than we do in our coins. Cobalt is also magnetic although not iron related.

Thanks for the education gunsil. This is why I love TNet

Although many Canadian coins from the non-silver era (starting mid 1968) are 99.9% nickel, this one (from 2002) is nickel plated steel. Either way, they are all magnetic. The plated steel coins started in 2000, including cents.

Scott

Pure Nickel is worth twice what pure copper is , (at this time ) so ...can I melt or sell the Nickel Canadian Coins for scrap here in the USA ?

Pure Nickel is worth twice what pure copper is , (at this time ) so ...can I melt or sell the Nickel Canadian Coins for scrap here in the USA ?
Sure, if you can do it cost effectively at 2647 degrees Fahrenheit, lol. Ever tried to melt copper at a much lower melting point? Good luck! It may be worth just selling the nickels.

Sure, if you can do it cost effectively at 2647 degrees Fahrenheit, lol. Ever tried to melt copper at a much lower melting point? Good luck! It may be worth just selling the nickels.
Keep in mind that Canadian nickels minted between 1982 and 2000 are not 99.9% nickel. They are the same composition as US nickels. The Royal Canadian Mint has been removing the 99.9% nickel coins from circulation for years.

Scott

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back