What's new

Am I the only one?

birdman

Gold Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2005
Messages
7,467
Reaction score
2,418
Golden Thread
1
Location
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I am a grown man with three kids and a wife ,a demanding job ,house payment and regular bills . Pretty much like most people but for some reason I just keep thinking about treasure hunting. Be it old battle fields ,beaches home sites or what ever . I know this is just a hobby and everything else comes first (rightly so) but my question is that is it sane for a 38 year old man to find himself dreaming about going off on great adventures,hunting for pirate treasure or almost any thing from the past ?
I just want to make sure I am not the only one or maybe I have just watched the Goonies one too many times. :icon_pirat:
 
Nope,
take the word of an old treasure bum ...
You aren't the only one.
My oldest is your age. She'll tell you I have been at it for her whole life.
And then some.
LOL It gets in the blood.
 
NOPE! I been at it, going on 50 years, It's in yer blood, I tell ye.....arrrrgggg! Maybe that's why I don't have any kids and I've been married for the past 32 years :icon_pirat:........NGE
 
I admit it, too. Even at work, I still treasure hunt. Technically speaking, of course. I'm always on the lookout for some dropped change or an interesting find. I find myself constantly thinking about a new place to hunt. We're all members of the same club my friend.
 
even while driving on vacation, looking on both sides of the road saying to myself, I wonder what is hidden in there! Look at all those just plowed fields, that would be nice to hunt. so much land left to hunt.
 
I Do not like the words "Support Group"

that's one of My "Pet Peeves" which is also
one of My Pet Peeves OF Many I Have :tongue3:

But That's why we're all here :thumbsup:
 
Very addicting hobby..........You drive a long way,brave the heat and cold,battle mosquitios,wear your back and knees out,dig in the ground on your hand and knees,suffer verbal abuse,etc.....all for some stuff you could probally buy on ebay for less than a dollar.......Its the thrill of the hunt!.......
 
m bryan said:
Very addicting hobby..........You drive a long way,brave the heat and cold,battle mosquitios,wear your back and knees out,dig in the ground on your hand and knees,suffer verbal abuse,etc.....all for some stuff you could probally buy on ebay for less than a dollar.......Its the thrill of the hunt!.......

Exactly...It's the thrill of the hunt, the unknown. Very addicting hobby. :headbang:
 
Plus, knee pads are sexy
sarcastic.gif
 
No your not, if my hubby doesn't get out, he drives himself nuts, thinking of all the goodies he is missing out on. He is always on the lookout for something good, even when he is working, he is a maintenance tech for a large apartment complex, and is amazed at what he finds, and now he has me looking too, even driving down the street, you just never know!!!! :laughing9:
 
The thrill of finding a piece of history,relics and old coins keeps it going. And theres always a chance you could find something valuable. Here's a pic of a trade token I found not long ago. Its about a hundred years old. Not worth much money but has histotial value.....Ewing Texas was a sawmill town that died out in the twenties.
 

Attachments

  • school 012.webp
    school 012.webp
    28.4 KB · Views: 625
  • school 012.webp
    school 012.webp
    28.4 KB · Views: 624
When you try treasure hunting and it seams like a waste of time consider yourself immuned. You will never hunt again, but find something and be thrilled because you are holding a piece of history, or a rare coin etc. you are infected for life! I started in the 70's and am 73 now. It's a life sentence! What ends it for most is very poor health or death!
​
 

I think I was around 20 years old when I first got interested in MD'ing. That was 37 years ago, & at that point, although we didn't know each other at the time, my buddy LocoLarry was already DOING it, & he's been an avid detectorist ever since.

I on the other hand, have sorta drifted in & out of the "interested" phase over the years, always WANTING an MD, but never seeming to get around to actually buying one. There always seemed to be some other toy I wanted worse.

Well, now I'm retired, & I FINALLY took the plunge, after all these years. Even though I've only found 13 cents so far, I can already feel the bite of mild addiction. When my new MD arrives, & I finally find my first treasure of any consequence, I bet I'll be hooked, but good! :laughing9:





The Lord Is My Shepherd!
sirjoeysigmedij1.gif
 
I'm 63............when I was in the Fourth grade in Temple, Texas, two of my friends and I dug out an old privy on an old farm place..found coins, an old pistol, all kinds of stuff that had been dumped into the top as a dump...Been a "Treasure Hunter" ever since!

In 1972 I found an empty window bank on an old home place in Louisiana... the bank had been dug in clay, fired to seal it, covered with an old frying pan with a broken handle...the old fruit jar with the Porcelain seal was still in the hole and intact! if only it still had the money in it?..same day..same place I "found" a $200.00 case of Poison Sumac! If you don't know what that looks like you'd better brush up on your poisonous foliage !

BTW, Metal Detecting keeps me off the streets and out of the bars!
Happy Diggin', Yall!
Loco :hello:
 
:laughing9: I'm 65 and still diving and hunting that elusive "big find". Finding just enough to keep us coming back does it every time. Just when you start getting the urge to throw the equipment in a dumpster you find another silver, another ring, another artifact and you forget such nonsense and get back to hunting that next gold coin, ring or the really BIG find. Like the man said, "God, I love this Job!"
Here are a couple beach finds;
 

Attachments

  • Metal Detecting Rewards 017.webp
    Metal Detecting Rewards 017.webp
    39.2 KB · Views: 536
  • Metal Detecting Rewards 017.webp
    Metal Detecting Rewards 017.webp
    39.2 KB · Views: 527
  • Progresso Mexico beach babe.webp
    Progresso Mexico beach babe.webp
    14.4 KB · Views: 539
I've only detected once or twice in the last year because of both health and work.....work is killing me and just adding to my physical discomfort.

I get very angry over this because I can't detect when I want to. Pressing issues with things around the house, a girlfriend I like to see once in a while....etc.

I even tried to avoid T-net because it was just a slap in the face to me and a constant reminder of what I can't do.

Obviously, through everything, I still love the hobby...been at it since the early 80's off and on. I've done the quest for a couple big treasures but I'm still working so that tells you something. Haven't got rich yet!.
I just keep comming back for more. I bought the new White's Vision when they first came out. Only used it about a dozen times and considered selling it numerious times. Think it's an expensive dust collector but I don't need money that bad...yet, thank God.

I know at some point I'll be detecting again. Just don't want to sell a machine then have to buy another.

It will never leave you if you think about it as often as you do. Go with the flow.....

Al
 
:icon_pirat: The work is going to be there long after we turn to dust. Don't let it kill you! Look for reasons to go detecting, not for excuses to stay home. ;D
I'm visiting the kids this weekend in Pensacola and Panama City Beach but the metal detectors are in the trunk. Duh, I got to run to the Naval Base to pick up a few things. The beach just happens to be on route if I go south and circle the city to get down the other end of the block. Take the long way and take your time.
;D :laughing9: Just a thought! :laughing9:
 

Attachments

  • Metal Detecting Rewards 006.webp
    Metal Detecting Rewards 006.webp
    32.8 KB · Views: 521
  • Metal Detecting Rewards 006.webp
    Metal Detecting Rewards 006.webp
    32.8 KB · Views: 504
Good to know that I am not the only one. ;D
 
Tried detecting in 1983. Did not find much but kept reading WE&T for about 18 more years, decided not to wait until I retired (that's a laugh, I don,t think I will ever be able to retire.). But I got a bonus in June 2004 and had the money to get a new detector, a Whites IDX Pro. 3 detectors later (Now Etrac & Explorer II added) and I am sure that was the best decision I ever made. I dream of finding large coins spills, detecting in England and finding my first gold coin. Whenever I go any where I am scoping the area as to where I would detect. I am addicted to it and would only go more often if it weren't for having to work.

Ed D.
 
Coil to Soil said:
m bryan said:
Very addicting hobby..........You drive a long way,brave the heat and cold,battle mosquitios,wear your back and knees out,dig in the ground on your hand and knees,suffer verbal abuse,etc.....all for some stuff you could probally buy on ebay for less than a dollar.......Its the thrill of the hunt!.......

Exactly...It's the thrill of the hunt, the unknown. Very addicting hobby. :headbang:

I couldn't have said it better myself! :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom