What's new

Amazing 1855 Arrows Seated Half Dime

Carolina Relic Hunter

Full Member
Joined
May 30, 2021
Messages
231
Reaction score
1,813
Golden Thread
1
Location
Rock Hill, SC
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 & 900, Nokta Pulsedive, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have this week off so today I decided to head out and check a few old spots. The day drug out with not much to find until i decided to move to another field that had previously yielded a bunch. After a flat button or two I hit a nice signal and this beauty came out. The last pick is everything from today, most of all came from the last spot.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4926.webp
    IMG_4926.webp
    1 MB · Views: 304
  • IMG_4927.webp
    IMG_4927.webp
    1.1 MB · Views: 167
  • IMG_4937.webp
    IMG_4937.webp
    3.1 MB · Views: 163
Upvote 39
That's a beauty! Nice finds. Congrats!!
 
Congrats on the great finds - the Seated Half Dime is a real beauty ! :hello2:

I'm posting this info. on Seated Coins with Arrows for people that are not familiar their history.

Why are there Arrows next to the dates on some Seated Liberty Coins ?

The arrows found on certain Seated Liberty Dimes (and other denominations like half dimes, quarters, and half dollars) signify changes in the coin's weight.
.
There were two instances where arrows were added to the design:

1853-1855: During this period, the value of silver increased, leading to hoarding and melting of coins for their bullion value.
To prevent this and encourage circulation, the weight of these silver coins was slightly reduced.
The arrows were added flanking the date to clearly identify these new, lighter-weight coins.

1873-1874: The arrows reappeared in 1873 and 1874, this time indicating a slight increase in the coin's weight.
This change was a result of the Coinage Act of 1873, which aimed to bring U.S. silver coins into alignment with the metric system to facilitate their potential use in international trade.

In essence, the arrows were a visual cue to the public, signifying a change in the mandated silver content and weight of the coins.
 
I have this week off so today I decided to head out and check a few old spots. The day drug out with not much to find until i decided to move to another field that had previously yielded a bunch. After a flat button or two I hit a nice signal and this beauty came out. The last pick is everything from today, most of all came from the last spot.
That is one beautiful coin! Congrats and Happy Turkey Day!
 
I have this week off so today I decided to head out and check a few old spots. The day drug out with not much to find until i decided to move to another field that had previously yielded a bunch. After a flat button or two I hit a nice signal and this beauty came out. The last pick is everything from today, most of all came from the last spot.
Awesome!!! Congrats!!!
 
AMAZING Finds!!!! Love the half dime
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom