What's new

AMAZING!!!!! Craigs List Coin Roll Find **NIC-A-DATE UPDATE** With pics

Historyhound

Full Member
Joined
Nov 2, 2006
Messages
248
Reaction score
54
Golden Thread
0
Location
Schenectady New York
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
AMAZING!!!!! Craig's List Coin Roll Find **NIC-A-DATE UPDATE** With pics

Not sure if this should be posted here or under "I couldn't believe my eyes". Saw an ad on the local Craig's List where someone was selling numerous rolls of war nickels for the ridiculous price of $24 per roll. The ad also said that there were 7 rolls of undated nickels that she would sell at face value. That peeked my interest and I fired off an e-mail stating that I would take them if they were still available. She contacted me the next day and said she'd gladly meet me Friday to make the transaction. I pulled into the parking lot and she stepped out of her car and handed me a baggie with nickel rolls in it. All I did was open 1 roll end and saw exactly what I was hoping to see. I asked if she had inherited a coin collection, she said that she had and had gone thru over 100 rolls of these nickels and kept all the ones with readable dates. I thanked her and let her know that her price for the war nickels was way too high and told her if she decides to sell the nickels with the readable dates to give me a call. I wished her luck and drove off. By now you should have already guessed what I found when I got home and they were only $2 a roll.

*****UPDATE*****


I went to my local coin supply store and picked up some NIC A DATE. I picked out all the coins with readable mint marks and here are the results.

3 1913 D TY 1
2 1913 D TY 2
1 1913 S TY 2
2 1914 D
3 1915 D
6 1916 D
3 1917 D
3 1918 D
1 1918 S
2 1919 D
1 1919 S
1 1920 S
1 1921 S
1 1924 D
1 1926 D

There are 5 others with mint marks that can't be distinguished. I was going to sell the P's on EBay, but after seeing these results, I'm very tempted to look for the 1914/3 and the 1916/16.


Sorry about all the cat hair in the close-ups.
 

Attachments

  • undated1.webp
    undated1.webp
    70.1 KB · Views: 1,179
  • undated2.webp
    undated2.webp
    56.9 KB · Views: 1,133
  • undated3.webp
    undated3.webp
    90.8 KB · Views: 1,179
  • 1921sobv.webp
    1921sobv.webp
    61.8 KB · Views: 545
  • 1921srev.webp
    1921srev.webp
    63.1 KB · Views: 556
  • 1913dobv2.webp
    1913dobv2.webp
    54 KB · Views: 550
  • 1913drev2.webp
    1913drev2.webp
    34.5 KB · Views: 532
  • 1913sobv.webp
    1913sobv.webp
    42.2 KB · Views: 520
  • 1913srev.webp
    1913srev.webp
    47.5 KB · Views: 523
  • 1914dobv1.webp
    1914dobv1.webp
    47.9 KB · Views: 522
  • 1914drev1.webp
    1914drev1.webp
    43.5 KB · Views: 532
Upvote 0
Re: AMAZING!!!!! Craig's List Coin Roll Find

I just never have that kind of luck...LOL
Great finds !!!
Brad
 
Re: AMAZING!!!!! Craig's List Coin Roll Find

face value --dateless buffs -- jeez :laughing9: any 3 leggers?
 
Re: AMAZING!!!!! Craig's List Coin Roll Find

ivan salis said:
face value --dateless buffs -- jeez :laughing9: any 3 leggers?

Unfortunately no. I've checked them all. 45 have mint marks. 7 of those are S. The only coins I know I have for sure are 2 1913-D type I and one 1915-D because that date is barely legible. There are quite a few 1913-P Type I's because you can make out the mound.
 
Re: AMAZING!!!!! Craig's List Coin Roll Find

Nice hunch playing; and results to boot.

As they're dateless, try some Nic-a-Date...........and really see what you paid face for.

Again, nicely done.
 
Re: AMAZING!!!!! Craig's List Coin Roll Find

Historyhound said:
Saw an ad on the local Craig's List where someone was selling numerous rolls of war nickels for the ridiculous price of $24 per roll... I thanked her and let her know that her price for the war nickels was way too high and told her if she decides to sell the nickels with the readable dates to give me a call.


Umm, $24 is a ridiculous price for war nickels? :icon_scratch: Last I checked current melt value of a roll was around $38. I know we as CRH expect everything at face, but that wasn't that bad of a deal. Nice Finds anyway. HH, SE
 
Re: AMAZING!!!!! Craig's List Coin Roll Find

Holy moly, what an amazing find. By any chance, was the lady that sold the rolls to you elderly?
 
Re: AMAZING!!!!! Craig's List Coin Roll Find

Coins4Cheese said:
Holy moly, what an amazing find. By any chance, was the lady that sold the rolls to you elderly?

Nope, she looked about 23 or 24.
 
Re: AMAZING!!!!! Craig's List Coin Roll Find

silvereagle78 said:
Historyhound said:
Saw an ad on the local Craig's List where someone was selling numerous rolls of war nickels for the ridiculous price of $24 per roll... I thanked her and let her know that her price for the war nickels was way too high and told her if she decides to sell the nickels with the readable dates to give me a call.


Umm, $24 is a ridiculous price for war nickels? :icon_scratch: Last I checked current melt value of a roll was around $38. I know we as CRH expect everything at face, but that wasn't that bad of a deal. Nice Finds anyway. HH, SE

I am such a PUTZ!!!! When I checked the price for war nickels on coinflation I thought it said 9.5c each, not 95c each!! Oh well, I just went back to Craigs List and the ad is gone. I'll know better next time, if there is one.
 
Re: AMAZING!!!!! Craig's List Coin Roll Find

Historyhound said:
I am such a PUTZ!!!! When I checked the price for war nickels on coinflation I thought it said 9.5c each, not 95c each!! Oh well, I just went back to Craigs List and the ad is gone. I'll know better next time, if there is one.

I've actually done the same thing before :laughing7: There will always be more deals to be had! :thumbsup:
 
Re: AMAZING!!!!! Craig's List Coin Roll Find

Awesome find !!! :headbang:
 
Re: AMAZING!!!!! Craig's List Coin Roll Find

Historyhound said:
silvereagle78 said:
Historyhound said:
Saw an ad on the local Craig's List where someone was selling numerous rolls of war nickels for the ridiculous price of $24 per roll... I thanked her and let her know that her price for the war nickels was way too high and told her if she decides to sell the nickels with the readable dates to give me a call.


Umm, $24 is a ridiculous price for war nickels? :icon_scratch: Last I checked current melt value of a roll was around $38. I know we as CRH expect everything at face, but that wasn't that bad of a deal. Nice Finds anyway. HH, SE

I am such a PUTZ!!!! When I checked the price for war nickels on coinflation I thought it said 9.5c each, not 95c each!! Oh well, I just went back to Craigs List and the ad is gone. I'll know better next time, if there is one.

Gotta tease you a little here as I'm insanely jealous about the deal you made. :tongue3: You actually thought you were overpaying for the war nickels to get the buffs at face value, and end up scoring the wars for less than 75% of melt value plus rolls and rolls of buffs at face value. I wish I could overpay like that!

Nice score! :icon_thumleft:
 
Re: AMAZING!!!!! Craig's List Coin Roll Find

You found the nickel fairy!

I just got 4 rolls of war nickels off of Craig's List for $120, or $30/roll and I thought that was a decent deal...way to go! Amazing find on the Buffs, dates or no dates. I would have asked her what she would want for the rest of them just to see where her head was...did you get her number?

Thanks for posting - it's fun to hear about deals like that :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
 
Re: AMAZING!!!!! Craig's List Coin Roll Find

ArkieBassMan said:
Historyhound said:
silvereagle78 said:
Historyhound said:
Saw an ad on the local Craig's List where someone was selling numerous rolls of war nickels for the ridiculous price of $24 per roll... I thanked her and let her know that her price for the war nickels was way too high and told her if she decides to sell the nickels with the readable dates to give me a call.


Umm, $24 is a ridiculous price for war nickels? :icon_scratch: Last I checked current melt value of a roll was around $38. I know we as CRH expect everything at face, but that wasn't that bad of a deal. Nice Finds anyway. HH, SE

I am such a PUTZ!!!! When I checked the price for war nickels on coinflation I thought it said 9.5c each, not 95c each!! Oh well, I just went back to Craigs List and the ad is gone. I'll know better next time, if there is one.

Gotta tease you a little here as I'm insanely jealous about the deal you made. :tongue3: You actually thought you were overpaying for the war nickels to get the buffs at face value, and end up scoring the wars for less than 75% of melt value plus rolls and rolls of buffs at face value. I wish I could overpay like that!

Nice score! :icon_thumleft:

Dude!! The heartbreaker is that I passed on the silver. By the time I was informed of my mistake, they were gone.
 
Re: AMAZING!!!!! Craig's List Coin Roll Find

Historyhound said:
ArkieBassMan said:
Historyhound said:
silvereagle78 said:
Historyhound said:
Saw an ad on the local Craig's List where someone was selling numerous rolls of war nickels for the ridiculous price of $24 per roll... I thanked her and let her know that her price for the war nickels was way too high and told her if she decides to sell the nickels with the readable dates to give me a call.


Umm, $24 is a ridiculous price for war nickels? :icon_scratch: Last I checked current melt value of a roll was around $38. I know we as CRH expect everything at face, but that wasn't that bad of a deal. Nice Finds anyway. HH, SE

I am such a PUTZ!!!! When I checked the price for war nickels on coinflation I thought it said 9.5c each, not 95c each!! Oh well, I just went back to Craigs List and the ad is gone. I'll know better next time, if there is one.

Gotta tease you a little here as I'm insanely jealous about the deal you made. :tongue3: You actually thought you were overpaying for the war nickels to get the buffs at face value, and end up scoring the wars for less than 75% of melt value plus rolls and rolls of buffs at face value. I wish I could overpay like that!

Nice score! :icon_thumleft:

Dude!! The heartbreaker is that I passed on the silver. By the time I was informed of my mistake, they were gone.

Amazing how wisdom is an infinite thing.. There is so much to learn about this Hobby.

Mojo
 
Re: AMAZING!!!!! Craig's List Coin Roll Find

:icon_thumleft: :thumbsup:
 
Re: AMAZING!!!!! Craig's List Coin Roll Find

History, go through your old E-Mails and you might be able to find the original one you sent. You can get her E-Mail address that way and inquire about the War Nickels.
 
Re: AMAZING!!!!! Craig's List Coin Roll Find

DFX DAVE in M.D. said:
History, go through your old E-Mails and you might be able to find the original one you sent. You can get her E-Mail address that way and inquire about the War Nickels.

She removed the ad when she sold them. Live and learn. If I wasn't rushing myself, when I checked coinflation, I wouldn't have made the mistake. It was my own fault. I feel like a real putz telling her she was asking too much.
 
Re: AMAZING!!!!! Craig's List Coin Roll Find

yes amazing is the right word for that find.

Congrats!

I'd use nic-a-date, since they are dateless anyway and not numismatic coins. Just to mark the finds correctly and to know.

Wonderful find!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom