What's new

AMAZING!!!!! Craigs List Coin Roll Find **NIC-A-DATE UPDATE** With pics

Historyhound

Full Member
Joined
Nov 2, 2006
Messages
248
Reaction score
54
Golden Thread
0
Location
Schenectady New York
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
AMAZING!!!!! Craig's List Coin Roll Find **NIC-A-DATE UPDATE** With pics

Not sure if this should be posted here or under "I couldn't believe my eyes". Saw an ad on the local Craig's List where someone was selling numerous rolls of war nickels for the ridiculous price of $24 per roll. The ad also said that there were 7 rolls of undated nickels that she would sell at face value. That peeked my interest and I fired off an e-mail stating that I would take them if they were still available. She contacted me the next day and said she'd gladly meet me Friday to make the transaction. I pulled into the parking lot and she stepped out of her car and handed me a baggie with nickel rolls in it. All I did was open 1 roll end and saw exactly what I was hoping to see. I asked if she had inherited a coin collection, she said that she had and had gone thru over 100 rolls of these nickels and kept all the ones with readable dates. I thanked her and let her know that her price for the war nickels was way too high and told her if she decides to sell the nickels with the readable dates to give me a call. I wished her luck and drove off. By now you should have already guessed what I found when I got home and they were only $2 a roll.

*****UPDATE*****


I went to my local coin supply store and picked up some NIC A DATE. I picked out all the coins with readable mint marks and here are the results.

3 1913 D TY 1
2 1913 D TY 2
1 1913 S TY 2
2 1914 D
3 1915 D
6 1916 D
3 1917 D
3 1918 D
1 1918 S
2 1919 D
1 1919 S
1 1920 S
1 1921 S
1 1924 D
1 1926 D

There are 5 others with mint marks that can't be distinguished. I was going to sell the P's on EBay, but after seeing these results, I'm very tempted to look for the 1914/3 and the 1916/16.


Sorry about all the cat hair in the close-ups.
 

Attachments

  • undated1.webp
    undated1.webp
    70.1 KB · Views: 1,179
  • undated2.webp
    undated2.webp
    56.9 KB · Views: 1,133
  • undated3.webp
    undated3.webp
    90.8 KB · Views: 1,179
  • 1921sobv.webp
    1921sobv.webp
    61.8 KB · Views: 545
  • 1921srev.webp
    1921srev.webp
    63.1 KB · Views: 556
  • 1913dobv2.webp
    1913dobv2.webp
    54 KB · Views: 550
  • 1913drev2.webp
    1913drev2.webp
    34.5 KB · Views: 532
  • 1913sobv.webp
    1913sobv.webp
    42.2 KB · Views: 520
  • 1913srev.webp
    1913srev.webp
    47.5 KB · Views: 523
  • 1914dobv1.webp
    1914dobv1.webp
    47.9 KB · Views: 522
  • 1914drev1.webp
    1914drev1.webp
    43.5 KB · Views: 532
Upvote 0
Re: AMAZING!!!!! Craig's List Coin Roll Find

Historyhound said:
Not sure if this should be posted here or under "I couldn't believe my eyes". Saw an ad on the local Craig's List where someone was selling numerous rolls of war nickels for the ridiculous price of $24 per roll. The ad also said that there were 7 rolls of undated nickels that she would sell at face value. That peeked my interest and I fired off an e-mail stating that I would take them if they were still available. She contacted me the next day and said she'd gladly meet me Friday to make the transaction. I pulled into the parking lot and she stepped out of her car and handed me a baggie with nickel rolls in it. All I did was open 1 roll end and saw exactly what I was hoping to see. I asked if she had inherited a coin collection, she said that she had and had gone thru over 100 rolls of these nickels and kept all the ones with readable dates. I thanked her and let her know that her price for the war nickels was way too high and told her if she decides to sell the nickels with the readable dates to give me a call. I wished her luck and drove off. By now you should have already guessed what I found when I got home and they were only $2 a roll.

yep at $36.28 Cents worth of silver per Roll for War Nickels
$24 per roll was a Steal not Rediculous.

Congrats on the Buffalo deal though !

FYI Right now War nickels are worth $0.9564 each
 
Re: AMAZING!!!!! Craig's List Coin Roll Find

Don't feel too bad about the war nickels. As far as investing in silver coins, they are about the worst for resale value for US coins. Looks like she wanted 60 cents each. That is not too far below what most local coin dealers here pay for them here. Looks like Apmex is currently paying about 72 cents per coin. It definitely would have been worth buying them at her price, but not one of those mistakes that you should keep thinking about over time.

You cannot use melt value as a good gauge for war nickels, they are even less coveted than 40% halves among silver investors. Most dealers sell them for well below spot if you buy a decent amount.

I guess if they were in really good shape though, then yes you made a big mistake. ;D

Jim
 
Re: AMAZING!!!!! Craig's List Coin Roll Find

thurmownator said:
Nice hunch playing; and results to boot.

As they're dateless, try some Nic-a-Date...........and really see what you paid face for.

Again, nicely done.

Thanks for the suggestion.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom