What's new

Amazing War of 1812 button!

HunterMF

Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 17, 2016
Messages
477
Reaction score
790
Golden Thread
0
Location
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was out this weekend and hit a property that I had suspicions that dates back to colonial times.
I found a knee buckle, what seemed to be a plain small flat button, and a large copper coin (thought it to be a large cent)
I brought my findings home to clean. I found that the copper coin is actually a colonial coin (Britannia can barely be seen sitting with her arm and shield!)
The small button surprised me. As I was cleaning the button with a toothpick, a hard chunk of crud popped off and revealed a design. Not knowing what it was, I went to the “what is it” forum and got an unexpected answer!
This is a War of 1812 2nd Regiment Artillery button!! How awesome is that!?!?
I may have to go back to all my other buttons and make sure they don’t have detail! Haha
Cheers and happy hunting!
 

Attachments

  • 053042E7-CBE9-4EE9-8B6B-1B20C5592711.webp
    053042E7-CBE9-4EE9-8B6B-1B20C5592711.webp
    96.6 KB · Views: 149
  • B2E4C6D7-B76E-4335-86E9-B4AFB6451A3F.webp
    B2E4C6D7-B76E-4335-86E9-B4AFB6451A3F.webp
    335.8 KB · Views: 101
  • 29C41448-8031-419C-87EB-1455D16B2444.webp
    29C41448-8031-419C-87EB-1455D16B2444.webp
    222.9 KB · Views: 114
  • 46C8BD72-46D6-4F4F-A932-25E9777EA6A6.webp
    46C8BD72-46D6-4F4F-A932-25E9777EA6A6.webp
    107.1 KB · Views: 110
  • CE8F814D-F847-4CD5-A3BF-AC3CE1CF41DC.webp
    CE8F814D-F847-4CD5-A3BF-AC3CE1CF41DC.webp
    100.7 KB · Views: 108
  • 0DD22E4B-82E1-4B28-9310-310F2F13A905.webp
    0DD22E4B-82E1-4B28-9310-310F2F13A905.webp
    1.1 MB · Views: 100
  • 1E77D5CF-E33C-4BEF-BF89-96258AC107D9.webp
    1E77D5CF-E33C-4BEF-BF89-96258AC107D9.webp
    111.5 KB · Views: 97
  • 3E9E6B53-0E6B-4D72-9596-FE441B7F427C.webp
    3E9E6B53-0E6B-4D72-9596-FE441B7F427C.webp
    166.1 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_7301.webp
    IMG_7301.webp
    1.3 MB · Views: 104
Upvote 53
There may well be details under the corrosion on the halfpenny. Both it and the button are great finds!
 
I was out this weekend and hit a property that I had suspicions that dates back to colonial times.
I found a knee buckle, what seemed to be a plain small flat button, and a large copper coin (thought it to be a large cent)
I brought my findings home to clean. I found that the copper coin is actually a colonial coin (Britannia can barely be seen sitting with her arm and shield!)
The small button surprised me. As I was cleaning the button with a toothpick, a hard chunk of crud popped off and revealed a design. Not knowing what it was, I went to the “what is it” forum and got an unexpected answer!
This is a War of 1812 2nd Regiment Artillery button!! How awesome is that!?!?
I may have to go back to all my other buttons and make sure they don’t have detail! Haha
Cheers and happy hunting!
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!
 
There may well be details under the corrosion on the halfpenny. Both it and the button are great finds!
I was wondering if I should do a more thorough clean of the coin. I didn’t want to clean it past the “green”. Do you usually clean these down more than it is now?
 
Awesome 1812 Button find! Congratulations. That’s a great day out. Knee buckle, coin and an 1812 button.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom