TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Costco has great deals on Duracell batteries. You can get 40 AA's for about $15. Sometimes cheaper when on sale.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I normally get a dozen 9 volt and 60 AAs every Christmas, I am easy to buy for.

Diggin' History

Jan 27, 2020
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, DR.OTEK MT-XR, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, a GP Pointer Handheld Pinpointer, and a GUZI Waterproof Handheld Pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use Tenergy 6LR61 9V Alkaline Battery from Amazon - 24 for 25.99 and Harbor Freight's Thunderbolt Edge AA - 18 for 5.99 with coupon.

-DH-

mh9162013

Mar 22, 2019
KY
Detector(s) used
Fisher Research Labs F2, Equinox 600, Pro-Find 35, & Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For alkaline, I usually stick with Energizer or Duracell.

For rechargeables, I always go with Eneloops.

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Harbor freight batteries are good, dollar store aa batteries are not alkaline, don't last long and they leak. Detector manufacturers recommend alkaline. Someone used some $ store aa in my treasure club and the detector worked ok but power didn't last long and one of the 8 cells leaked. I still think it's economical to have the rechargeable one's but keep some good alkaline aa's as a backup. I think having individual rechargeable is better than a sealed recharge pack like what white's has. I like to periodically check the individual cells even after it says it's all charged. I've found some cells not fully at the correct voltage with a voltmeter so I get rid of them and get new cells.
I want all of them doing what they are supposed to do.
Jon
8-) :cat: :occasion14: :headbang:

OP
OP
F

freddytoo

Sep 25, 2016
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Minelab XTerra 50, Tesoro Golden uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What about 9v rechargeables?

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What about 9v rechargeables?
I don't use 9v rechargeables but i'm thinking it's the same principal as the aa..the more mAh the longer the run time. The aa NiMH recharge have a good track record but I'm uncertain if the 9 volts follow suit. There's the new lithium ion recharge systems available.
Not sure if all 9v recharge put out 9v. I've seen some that operate at 8.4 volts fully charged, generally, most detectors cut off at around a certain volt so you may want to research these systems to make sure they are compatible and what volts they put out.
Jon 8-) :cat::occasion14::headbang:

OP
OP
F

freddytoo

Sep 25, 2016
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Minelab XTerra 50, Tesoro Golden uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To be specific, what about 9v rechargeables in the Garrett carrot?

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To be specific, what about 9v rechargeables in the Garrett carrot?
You would need to find out what the cutoff voltage is for the carrot then choose the correct recharge system to provide adequate performance.
Jon
8-) :cat: :occasion14: :headbang:

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't leave batteries in any device for long. When I do it's butt kick time. My GPS for example. My experience is re-chargeable's aren't as apt to leak. Not scientifically speaking.
Heavy duty means lead-acid. They seem to be more damaging. If you do have a leaker, white vinegar can help. A bit on a Q-tip.
Wouldn't ya think, man on the moon etc. that a leak proof battery would be within reach?
Watching American Pickers seems someone always leaves batteries in an old toy. Affects the value for some reason.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I stopped buying Energizer AA's. They leak. Thankfully not in my detector, as I don't leave them installed, but in just about everything else. Duracells have been good to me.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Trust no battery. Coin batteries seem to do better. Maybe just lucky.
I've never met a battery I trusted. They leak, die just when you need a working one. My wife believes everything is recyclable. She believes there is no such thing as garbage. Not that extreme but ya know. A couple years ago she had collected a bunch of old batteries. Takes them to a battery store to re-cycle only to be told forget about it. They don't take batteries except those actually worth something in their dead state.
I thought battery companies might squish them up for something. Scrounge a bit of lead here and a tad of lithium there.
I once thought a re-cycle charge might be put on most everything like is done on tires for example.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread