What's new

American Bald Eagle

kinchafoonee

Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2013
Messages
314
Reaction score
373
Golden Thread
0
Location
SoWeGa
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Little off topic but thought I would share some pics of a bad eagle I saw at a Native American festival in Daytona Beach Fla. Saturday before last.Was about 10 feet away. Can't tell from the pics, but it was huge. A magnificent bird. If you notice in two of the photos the camera caught it blinking, once with each eye. didn't know it until I downloaded the pics.
 

Attachments

  • DSC04464.webp
    DSC04464.webp
    276 KB · Views: 239
  • DSC04468.webp
    DSC04468.webp
    169.4 KB · Views: 169
  • DSC04469.webp
    DSC04469.webp
    160.7 KB · Views: 182
  • DSC04471.webp
    DSC04471.webp
    179 KB · Views: 176
  • DSC04476.webp
    DSC04476.webp
    145.6 KB · Views: 176
  • DSC04479.webp
    DSC04479.webp
    293.4 KB · Views: 185
  • DSC04480.webp
    DSC04480.webp
    209.2 KB · Views: 161
Upvote 0
come west....hundreds and hundreds here!!!

Population ever so slowly coming back here, though I have yet to see one in the wild myself. I was excited to get to see this one up close.
 
That is a magnificent Eagle!!!They were reintroduced to the Delaware region about 7yrs ago. Last count there were 12 along a 40 mile stretch. 6 couples. Fortunately one of the secrets of my town is the location of one of the nests on a tributary by a bridge that is a couple of streets from the center of town. They have chicks every year so the population has to be up. I'll get pictures and post them. No one outside of town knows this unless told. I use to live e a couple blocks from the nest and use to visit it weekly to see them. The great thing is the pine tree they are in looks like those you would see in Alaska or California. The sad thing is a couple have been killed as well by negligent hunters. They found one shot it still had his brown feathers which indicated he was still young. The person was never caught. They felt it was one of the chicks from the nest in Milford. They found the eagle shot by dingmans falls......sad and angered is how I felt when I learned of it.

Sad to hear of some being killed in your area. It is a felony to harm these magnificent birds. Shame on those responsible!
 
Our place in Montana is about over run with them certain times of the year.I look forward to seeing them every year.They truly are an awesome bird.They are making a strong comeback here in Cali too,as have the Osprey.Local lakes here all have several breeding pairs,and I take my Father-in-law out on the boat every spring to photograph them.I also have a close friend who was crippled at a young age and has become a pro photographer and videographer.He has done several fantastic documentaries,which I highly reccomend.His name is Greg White.
 
Nice! First time I saw a bald eagle was last year. I was workin outside and an unusually large shadow flew right over me. I looked up and was amazed at the size of that bird. It landed in the top of a large tree in the distance and I could still see it's huge white head w/o binoculars.
 
I see them in DOWN TOWN Seattle, over lake Union.

I saw about 50 in the last 3 days in the san juan islands. They are everywhere. Beside Seagulls, they are the most common bird I saw on my little trip. So large and in charge. I actually am almost used to their weird screech.

While ling code fishing, one was trying to get at a dead fish floating near the rocks. It would swoop by the boat, talons out, and then wuss out, because were close to what it was trying to eat.

They have really made a boom back here in the seattle area. You can see several a day, in the downtown area, without even trying.

My alaskain buddies have other opinions on the bird....
 
Great pics- although I do hate to see them captive- probably found injured??? There are lots and lots on the Eastern Shore (MD)- and areas are routinely cordoned off March-July for nesting privacy. I see at least one every time I go out for a trek or paddle. They fight the osprey for food. I always root for the eagle. Osprey are loud and obnoxious and territory sensitive. Eagle are dignified. Eagle are regal...
Yak
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom