What's new

Amish paste tomatoes

dowser

Silver Member
Joined
Jul 13, 2005
Messages
2,645
Reaction score
1,431
Golden Thread
0
Location
USA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB 2100, L-Rods
Primary Interest:
Other
Gonna do some canning paste this year.
First time growing these...
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20260425_134510985_HDR.webp
    IMG_20260425_134510985_HDR.webp
    864.1 KB · Views: 121
  • Screenshot_20260425-135807_Google~2.webp
    Screenshot_20260425-135807_Google~2.webp
    58.1 KB · Views: 70
I put my tomatoes in today, early. I'll cover them if it frosts.
I did plant the Amish paste tomatoes I started, and almost changed my choice, but i felt it was too late.
I didn't research them enough, and go figure, I see a video on "7 reasons not to grow Amish paste". Yikes!!
The main reason was the blight. I'm gonna go with them anyhow, because I'm growing up off the dirt.
I'll try Hungarian heart tomato for sauce next year, I read better reviews.
The 2 caged tomato plants are slicers, but the Amish paste I'm gonna let them lay on fencing separating them from the ground.
I'll post results in the fall.
Plants are indeterminate.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20260514_130458181.webp
    IMG_20260514_130458181.webp
    4.1 MB · Views: 49
Those raised hedges are straw that I've mixed in composted with my sand dirt.
I have potatoes poked in along the bottom of them.
I figure the potatoes will grow and push the fabric up, along the sides of the tomatoes, and I can cut, and let them out to the sun, to continue growing.
Maybe I won't get Potato bugs that high up..
 
My potato plants are starting to poke out the tomato plant mounds.. Growing a lot for new potatoes..
Already saw one potato beetle on the ground..
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20260521_175910051.webp
    IMG_20260521_175910051.webp
    3.9 MB · Views: 41
I also put in 4 tomato plants again this year . 2 Better Boy and 2 Early Girls . The last couple of years we had so many tomatos that I gave them out to my neighbors for free and at the end of their cycle we had at least 30 green tomatos on the plants . I was hopeing that they would turn "whiteish" for me to fry them up BUT it never happened !
 
May 21 till June 8..
Way too many Potatoes, and the Tomatoes are just getting going..
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20260608-163659_Google~2.webp
    Screenshot_20260608-163659_Google~2.webp
    129.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20260608_155736971.webp
    IMG_20260608_155736971.webp
    4.2 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20260608_160006655.webp
    IMG_20260608_160006655.webp
    3.7 MB · Views: 37
Good luck.....I use to have a 3000 sq ft raised garden in Missouri, I grew lots of veggies and fruit. I planted over a hundred tomato plants, I canned spaghetti sauce, tomato sauce, spicy salsa, and tomato paste along with canning the other veggies.
 
Good luck.....I use to have a 3000 sq ft raised garden in Missouri, I grew lots of veggies and fruit. I planted over a hundred tomato plants, I canned spaghetti sauce, tomato sauce, spicy salsa, and tomato paste along with canning the other veggies.
What's your favorite sauce tomato variety?
I started the Amish paste before I heard they get blight easy, among other thing..
 
What's your favorite sauce tomato variety?
I started the Amish paste before I heard they get blight easy, among other thing..
I mainly grew better boy, and roma, for sauces and a few cherry and grape tomatoes. I had 4×16 strawberry patch, also grew sweat peas, blackeye peas, carrots, string beans, corn, melons and corn.

Most were canned for use in the winter.
 
The potatoes are growing faster than the Tomatoes because of the cold nights here.
Plus I gave the Tomatoes their first haircut a few days ago, bottom growth suckers and leaves gone..
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20260614_071410181.webp
    IMG_20260614_071410181.webp
    3 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20260614_071349796_HDR.webp
    IMG_20260614_071349796_HDR.webp
    3.1 MB · Views: 28
The Potatoes like the cool temps more than the Tomatoes, no chance for much growth until the Potatoes die back.
3 ft tall now..
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20260625_072617361_HDR.webp
    IMG_20260625_072617361_HDR.webp
    2.6 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20260625_072637756.webp
    IMG_20260625_072637756.webp
    2.8 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20260625_072551365.webp
    IMG_20260625_072551365.webp
    3.5 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20260625_072701870.webp
    IMG_20260625_072701870.webp
    2.8 MB · Views: 28
The Potatoes have the Tomatoes shaded for now.
I tried grafting Amish paste tomatoes on Red potatoes, it looks like one out of six took..
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20260703_093527779_HDR.webp
    IMG_20260703_093527779_HDR.webp
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20260703_093554102.webp
    IMG_20260703_093554102.webp
    3.4 MB · Views: 17

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom