Amulet From India For Date & ID

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not exactly sure of who the subjects are. From research I think I can say it is not Radha & Krishna. They look a woman & child which so far I have not been able to find. Also they are both standing in a circle of something which again I cannot find any reference to this. The subjects clothing and nimbus are high lighted with gold, frame is silver.
The closest examples I could find that are similar are Indian miniature painting dating from 1740 - 1860 range.
Any information on this amulet is appreciated. Thanks to all .....

Attachments

• Amulet F & B.jpg
    Amulet F & B.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 73
  • Amulet Gold Trim On Subjects 1.jpg
    Amulet Gold Trim On Subjects 1.jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 79
OP
OP
Cariboo5

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It certainly pays to ask as in all my research I did not come across "Mother Yashoda". traveller777 I think you are on to something here and more research is needed on my part.. Thanks so very much & have a good one ....

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It certainly pays to ask as in all my research I did not come across "Mother Yashoda". traveller777 I think you are on to something here and more research is needed on my part.. Thanks so very much & have a good one ....
Good luck in your search and you have a great one too. And you are most welcome.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don’t think this is Mother Yashoda and Krishna. In that pairing, Krishna is almost always depicted as a baby, or an infant at the very most.

I believe it’s Krishna (left) as a young man and the Hindu goddess Radha, his chief consort (right). The clues are in the flute and the cow. The most common depiction of Krisha is as a flute player and there are also often cowherder associations (especially when depicted among the wives and daughters of cowherders). Here, both figures are clearly deities, given the halos, so I would be pretty sure the female is Radha and not just an adoring devotee being charmed.

Note the ‘femininity’ for the depiction of Krishna. He’s often depicted with gender ambiguity in his youth, wearing somewhat feminine clothes, jewellery, ornaments and make-up. This kind of thing (just a randomly trawled picture):

Krishna.jpg

Looks pretty old and a nice thing.

OP
OP
Cariboo5

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What really throws me off is that the way it is painted the figure on the left looks like a female to me. Now taking time to look at other paintings it certainly can be Krishna and Radha of which I had ruled out earlier. It does have age as you mentioned. I am going to send pictures to the V & A in London as they have a great collection of miniature paintings from South East Asia and hopefully they will reply with a time frame that similar painting were done.
Thanks again for your thoughts & input Red-Coat and have a good one .......

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What really throws me off is that the way it is painted the figure on the left looks like a female to me. Now taking time to look at other paintings it certainly can be Krishna and Radha of which I had ruled out earlier. It does have age as you mentioned. I am going to send pictures to the V & A in London as they have a great collection of miniature paintings from South East Asia and hopefully they will reply with a time frame that similar painting were done.
Thanks again for your thoughts & input Red-Coat and have a good one .......

Good luck, and please keep us posted.

Forgot to say... note also the height difference between the two figures. For sure a non-child male would be depicted as the larger figure when paired with a non-child female.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread