Amulet From India For Date & ID

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not exactly sure of who the subjects are. From research I think I can say it is not Radha & Krishna. They look a woman & child which so far I have not been able to find. Also they are both standing in a circle of something which again I cannot find any reference to this. The subjects clothing and nimbus are high lighted with gold, frame is silver.
The closest examples I could find that are similar are Indian miniature painting dating from 1740 - 1860 range.
Any information on this amulet is appreciated. Thanks to all .....

Attachments

• Amulet F & B.jpg
    Amulet F & B.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 74
  • Amulet Gold Trim On Subjects 1.jpg
    Amulet Gold Trim On Subjects 1.jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 81
OP
OP
Cariboo5

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It certainly pays to ask as in all my research I did not come across "Mother Yashoda". traveller777 I think you are on to something here and more research is needed on my part.. Thanks so very much & have a good one ....

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It certainly pays to ask as in all my research I did not come across "Mother Yashoda". traveller777 I think you are on to something here and more research is needed on my part.. Thanks so very much & have a good one ....
Good luck in your search and you have a great one too. And you are most welcome.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I donā€™t think this is Mother Yashoda and Krishna. In that pairing, Krishna is almost always depicted as a baby, or an infant at the very most.

I believe itā€™s Krishna (left) as a young man and the Hindu goddess Radha, his chief consort (right). The clues are in the flute and the cow. The most common depiction of Krisha is as a flute player and there are also often cowherder associations (especially when depicted among the wives and daughters of cowherders). Here, both figures are clearly deities, given the halos, so I would be pretty sure the female is Radha and not just an adoring devotee being charmed.

Note the ā€˜femininityā€™ for the depiction of Krishna. Heā€™s often depicted with gender ambiguity in his youth, wearing somewhat feminine clothes, jewellery, ornaments and make-up. This kind of thing (just a randomly trawled picture):

Krishna.jpg

Looks pretty old and a nice thing.

OP
OP
Cariboo5

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What really throws me off is that the way it is painted the figure on the left looks like a female to me. Now taking time to look at other paintings it certainly can be Krishna and Radha of which I had ruled out earlier. It does have age as you mentioned. I am going to send pictures to the V & A in London as they have a great collection of miniature paintings from South East Asia and hopefully they will reply with a time frame that similar painting were done.
Thanks again for your thoughts & input Red-Coat and have a good one .......

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What really throws me off is that the way it is painted the figure on the left looks like a female to me. Now taking time to look at other paintings it certainly can be Krishna and Radha of which I had ruled out earlier. It does have age as you mentioned. I am going to send pictures to the V & A in London as they have a great collection of miniature paintings from South East Asia and hopefully they will reply with a time frame that similar painting were done.
Thanks again for your thoughts & input Red-Coat and have a good one .......

Good luck, and please keep us posted.

Forgot to say... note also the height difference between the two figures. For sure a non-child male would be depicted as the larger figure when paired with a non-child female.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions