SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you SusanMN for offering advice. I know I sound contrary. For 25 years I had to be in constant contact with work. Where I was, how I could be contacted, check in every day. No, I do not want or need a smart phone or cel these days. I can pretty much handle anything that comes up. Stephen King has a new book out that he must have wrote for me, called 'Cell'. Give that a read. And sorry if this post is tryin to go political, it really isn't, and thanks for all the responses.
Ten years in the airline Industry, FAA manuals in the suitcase or back seat on vacation, so I get why you wouldnt want one.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good for you. Were you standing at the entrance when you did that? No you weren't, cause you wouldn't have been able to get on the internet.
You seem mad because things changed and you weren't prepared for the change. I assume you don't think they should have phoned you up and let you know personally that the campsite system has changed, so had you checked before you left, you would have found this out. I'm about personal responsibility. Before i would have taken a 3 hour drive or 30 hour drive, no matter how well i knew the campsite, i would have checked to make sure, as I know things can and do change and i plan accordingly. And regardless, if i didn't have cell service at the campsite , i would have backtracked the 20 minutes to Delnorte and made my reservation, again, personal responsibility.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How would someone know to make a reservation to a campground you have been going to for years that never required a reservation before?

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
W
How would someone know to make a reservation to a campground you have been going to for years that never required a reservation before?
We went thrfough some what the same thing when the covid started .We now have to make reservations well in advance when we want to camp at a state park in Ohio

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Getting a campsite in Ontario used to be just a common thing, want to go camping make a reservation a few weeks ahead of time.
Now since the COVID starved folks are online and need to get a life things have changed a tad.

It's like buying a concert ticket for the best known entertainer, and they announced it was going to be their last show-period.
The Gov't opens up the portal-Ticket sales do what?
30 minutes later every bookable campsite in the province for the entire season is gone.

The resellers of campsites is a common occurrence it seems.
Instead of selling just a ticket for a music venue-the resellers are into campsite spots as well.
Gone are the days of just picking an open spot and driving the pegs in.

opalboy

Nov 3, 2012
Unfortunately in Summit county you need reservations just to hike some trails, but those trails are so busy I wouldn’t want to hike them. And camping, we’re boondockers, usually no neighbors at all, so no issues at all.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One wouldn't if they didn't check before leaving home. And when you got there, they posted a sign on how to register and it was quick, easy, and took less than two minutes. In this day and age, if you make the choice not to have a "smart phone", you know that it comes with certain limitations and that's a choice you made. Problem is, many want to blame others for their own choices and lack of due diligence. I believe it's why we have such a rise in "Karen's", entitled people who forget that the major tenent of freedom is personal responsibility for one's choices.

A few still choose to own no cell phone at all, but they know with that choice, they may have to walk if their car breaks down, and they take responsibility for that.

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
One wouldn't if they didn't check before leaving home. And when you got there, they posted a sign on how to register and it was quick, easy, and took less than two minutes. In this day and age, if you make the choice not to have a "smart phone", you know that it comes with certain limitations and that's a choice you made. Problem is, many want to blame others for their own choices and lack of due diligence.

A few still choose to own no cell phone at all, but they know with that choice, they may have to walk if their car breaks down, and they take responsibility for that.
There's two sides to this.
Comply/denied and go without
We have seen this over the last year.
"QR code" on a phone to do lots of things that were once taken for granted.
Need one or you can't do this or that, like going into a restaurant-(still needed to travel on public carrier plane/train/bus.)
Total authoritarian mind set.
Many are fine with having their rights and freedoms restricted
Baa-baa sheep.
For $6000.00 one can be obtained and then one can have no restrictions........

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's two sides to this.
Comply/denied and go without
We have seen this over the last year.
"QR code" on a phone to do lots of things that were once taken for granted.
Need one or you can't do this or that, like going into a restaurant-(still needed to travel on public carrier plane/train/bus.)
Total authoritarian mind set.
Many are fine with having their rights and freedoms restricted
Baa-baa sheep.
For $6000.00 one can be obtained and then one can have no restrictions........
I definitely see your points. For me though, equating online registering to some overbearing hinderance on your "freedoms" is a real big stretch, especially in light of the fact the change applied to everyone. If one believes that having to register online is a loss freedom, then it would be equally true that a campsite who has no online registration and forces you to call in to register or makes you register in person, is also infringing on your "freedom". I'm in the camp that neither is a loss of "freedom" and this is just a big fat nothin' burger that could have been easily remedied.

What i've seen the past 10-20 years is this big cultural shift whereas "freedom" has become the rallying cry of those who feel their choices(in other words, their "freedoms" to make their own choices) should have no consequences.

Last edited:

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to belabor the point (which everyone on this forum knows i, without fail, always do...lol), i'm heading to the Grand Canyon in two weeks, this will be by 7th time there! But, knowing the way things have changed the past few years, i made sure to check ahead of time whether "walk in" permits to hike down to and camp at Phantom Ranch will be given out like they have the last 20 years i've been going. I found out that, yes, they still are, but due to septic and water problems at Phantom Ranch, they are limiting it to half the normal capacity, meaning i may have to wait an extra day or two for a permit.

And that's fine, i'm not complaining, i did my due diligence, I know the wait may be longer then normal, and I made the choice to go and wait and i wont claim that it's some loss of my freedom.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One wouldn't if they didn't check before leaving home. And when you got there, they posted a sign on how to register and it was quick, easy, and took less than two minutes. In this day and age, if you make the choice not to have a "smart phone", you know that it comes with certain limitations and that's a choice you made. Problem is, many want to blame others for their own choices and lack of due diligence. I believe it's why we have such a rise in "Karen's", entitled people who forget that the major tenent of freedom is personal responsibility for one's choices.

No cell coverage as RGinn stated, " there is no wi-fi or cellphone service in that spot".

I repeat if you were never required to have a reservation why would you check. I go saltwater fishing off a pier on the coast, if they suddenly required a reservation I would know nothing about it till I arrived.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No cell coverage as RGinn stated, " there is no wi-fi or cellphone service in that spot".
There's cell service, but it's spotty there, so go ten minutes back down the road towards Delnorte and you have service.

I repeat if you were never required to have a reservation why would you check.

Exactly, you are inadvertently making my point, in this ever changing world, "why would you check" is self evident by his picture of the rules change posted at the camp. Rules can and do change, due diligence prior to your trip can save much grief.

Edit: And to concede part of your point, i too probably wouldn't have checked on a camp site i frequent only 3 hours away, however, when i got there and saw the rule change, i would have blamed no one but myself for having not checked ahead of time and then would have proceeded to go down the road and registered. I wouldn't have blamed anyone but myself.

Last edited:

Sarge50

Apr 11, 2022
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
W

We went thrfough some what the same thing when the covid started .We now have to make reservations well in advance when we want to camp at a state park in Ohio
Same in New Mexico, had to make reservations to go fishing at many of the state lakes. No big deal, takes a few seconds and print out the reservation. I like it because it shows how many people are allowed for that day and how many have reservations. Weekends suck because there allowing 3-400 people (I don’t like crowds). And during the week they only allow 50 reservations, peace and quiet! Sarge

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well you do have the memories you can cherish.

Attachments

• 1000_F_124557730_UQUFv1Jfa456062A0d8CIob9ZkBOIlDd.jpg
    1000_F_124557730_UQUFv1Jfa456062A0d8CIob9ZkBOIlDd.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 14

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen Park rangers come to a campsite of someone close to me telling them the site was reserved and they had to leave . They said they did not know and sorry . They still had to move to a different site they could camp at

Sarge50

Apr 11, 2022
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen Park rangers come to a campsite of someone close to me telling them the site was reserved and they had to leave . They said they did not know and sorry . They still had to move to a different site they could camp at
Now that would cause severe “Aggravation” and be hard to not flip the Ranger the bird and stay put especially if you collected wood for the camp fire and set your camp up? Boy, I’d be angry. Sarge

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that would cause severe “Aggravation” and be hard to not flip the Ranger the bird and stay put especially if you collected wood for the camp fire and set your camp up? Boy, I’d be angry. Sarge
At the Ohio state parks I have been too have a list of rules and instructions At the parks entrance buildings which explains all this.

Last edited:

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes I shake my head when I read the opposing views, but I'm ok with hearing all sides. The things that strike me real funny are not comments about preparedness or due diligence, nor are they comments about finding out the bad news on arrival. I wonder why people want to go "camping" and then set up in a "campground". I think too many people take too many things with them to be realistically "camping". And why would they want to set up where other people are near by. I guess my Idea is a little skewed but I thought the idea was to "get away for a few days". The real reason I shake my head is why is it ok for people in this country to think that they should have to "get a permit" or " get reservations" to camp on their own land?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread