an odd box of pennies

hokiemojo

Jan 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
When I picked up my box of pennies this past week, I got a box full of CWRs. These aren't fun because the coins had all the wheats pulled. I'm still going through all 50 rolls to be sure though. What was also odd about this box after ~40 rolls was:
1) there were no coins newer than 1985
2) there was a LOT of 82-85's
3) there was still higher than normal copper percentages, but as a hand sorter, that doesn't impact most of us
4) each roll had a name/phone number applied to it via computer labels (still hand written).

While I'm obviously not going to call the number to ask what was up with the box (warning to anyone that puts their info on the rolls like banks used to require), does anyone know what might be up with this box? Think it was sitting around somewhere for 28 years? Just wondering if anyone has any ideas.
Thanks!

Upvote 0

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They were most likely sitting in someone's house since ~1985 and just recently cashed in. Probably placed into an empty box by the bank for easy counting purposes. Last year I went through a bunch of rolls that my mother has had stashed for a long time. Newest coins in the batch were 1986 if I recall correctly.

OP
OP
hokiemojo

hokiemojo

Jan 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
are you telling me i got your dumps after you cherry picked all those sweet 1986's? haha. I figured this was probably it. oh, to have had first dibs on that box. oh well. thanks for the reply.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread