An open appeal to fellow michigan diggers...

Critical Recovery

Oct 31, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro, MXT and DFX, Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It doesn't matter if it is "thawed" or you can "dig" or not.
If you don't see the beginning of green root structure at the base of the grass, then you will KILL IT when you dig it.
Just like if you dig a complete 360 plug.
Grass is NOT a collection of individual blades, they are all interconnected and while, yes they are (kind of) individual, they are on a larger nature, a connected organism.

Getting greedy and chopping away just because you can doesn't mean it is ready.

I know we're all in a hurry to get that clad and maybe some junk jewelry before "gasp! somebody else beats us to it" but have some common sense and look to the future.
It will be there in two weeks for the love of GOD.

And before someone runs crying or gets all huffy because they think I "dare" tell THEM what to do, this is directed at no one.

Have some patience and think about how you make us look before you go making paper plate sized dead spots that cause those "no metal detecting" signs to pop up.

Just,PLEASE.....wait a bit...it will still be there. Let' be responsible?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't land hunt much any more because of bad knees but I only use a screw driver to probe tor the coin an if I don't touch it I don't cut a plug and just leave it for a newbie to make the mess.

megnpat

Apr 30, 2013
bellaire MI
Detector(s) used
somethin with a round thing on it ;)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure if your serious or not but I'm a greenskeeper on a championship golf course and you are wrong about the plugs they will not die grass goes dormant when conditions for its growth are poor no many people know this but grass is pretty hard to kill so cutting a 360 plug isn't gonna cause a dead spot unless you kill it chemically

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I tried to kill all the grass in my yard lol.............its tough:laughing7:

mustangpalmer1911

Apr 12, 2011
Hop Bottom, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Then how do the 12"X12" squares of sod survive? I have been cutting round plugs out of my yard, the neighbors yard and several ball fields and carnival ground with out killing any grass yet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread