An Opinion Of The Quattro MP

WormtownHunter

Jun 14, 2006
Worcester, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-70 Pro
This is just a short review of this powerful metal detector in the Minelab lineup. Even with the fact that I have only had this unit for a little over a week, I have found that it is perfect for the coinshooting that I do. I have been using the discrimination pattern for "Good US Coins" in Andy Sabisch's book Mastering The Minelab Quattro, and along with the 4 x 7" EXCellerator coil that I bought from KellyCo, I am finding wheat cents and other assorted items much deeper than I ever could with my Fisher 1266-X.

Since I am still new to this machine, I am getting used to the musical tones the Quattro gives over high & low conductivity targets. I have not yet ventured out in the All Metal mode, but I am still finding coins at great depth whether I use the stock coil or the small elliptical. I currently run the Quattro at Auto Sensitivity when using the stock coil & a setting of 16 when using the smaller one. So far the deepest coin I have found was a 1913 wheat cent at 9 1/2" on the factory preset coin mode. I am however still trying to get used to pinpointing with the DD coil, for me it's a big change from the standard concentric coils that most of us have used. My little wizard pinpointer has been a great help in this regard.

I am beginning to realize that the people who either sell off their Quattro's or badmouth it, just do not want to take the time to learn it's language. I honestly feel that this is the best metal detector that I have bought in my 22 years of TH'ing, and I don't regret it for a moment. And to think, I almost bought a DFX...

No, I have not yet found any silver coins with the Quattro, but I feel it's only a matter of time & researching our older sites here in Worcester until I do.

I hope this small review helps other prospective Quattro users.

OK, enough of my ramblings.... Time To Do Some Hunting!

My Best To All,

Barry

Attachments

• minelab%20quattro%20mp.jpg
    minelab%20quattro%20mp.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 1,404

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
Don't worry Barry, you WILL find silver it's just a matter of time. It took me a while to find my first mercury with the EXII but I did find one and that's only the beginning. HH

edgemano

Apr 11, 2006
ontario NY
hay wormtownhunter this is Dave i sent you a message, give me a call i have a quattro and love it after i got the hang of it . I have some good info, found some dimes real DEEP! ;D

gold-digger

Jul 4, 2006
Gulf Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excals & Quattro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hi WormtownHunter, I recently picked up a Quattro too and I'm still learning the tones. I agree highly with you, this is the best I have owned too. To date, 7 rings, (2 gold-4 silver-1 other) not to mention about $10.00 in coins. All from beach hunting in the surf. My next quest is to hit some parks and playgrounds to test it there.

Happy Hunting :) :) :)

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Currently I have 4 metal detectors – the Whites DFX , The Minelab Quattro, The Minelab Explorer II and A Whites Classic III SL. The Explorer I have only had for about a month. My review of the Quattro is based on my experience with it in Cleveland, Ohio and is in comparison to the above mentioned metal detectors that I have.

Pros:
- Good target identification. Good at identifying deep pull tabs.
- Superior depth. Maybe even better than Explorer II.
- Stock DD coil enable you to cover more ground with each sweep.
- Nice easy to read big display and immediate depth indication.
- Well made.
- Easy to use menu and settings.

Reservations with the Quattro:
- Trash. Not very good in trashy and iron infested sites. Smaller coil does help a lot but have to really go slow.
- Display lags audio. Get a good signal and have to “pull off” target to get a VDI. Have to rely more on audio.

The Quattro is a great machine and cannot be beat in certain applications. In the right application it is a joy to use. Like driving a Cadillac down a smooth road. It excels in parks, fields, etc that are wide open and have deep items. But it’s limitations is in iorn infested areas or areas with lots of trash. Masking can be a little more of a problem with this machine. Smaller coils and concentric coils will help overcome these limitations. Also need to be able to slow down. If you have to have a fast sweep speed and feel like you are covering a lot of ground quickly then skip this one. If you have the extra cash and are an experienced treasure hunter then the Exp II is probably a better choice. It is similar to the Quattro but has a faster recovery. It will handle trashy and iron infested sites better.
In comparison to the DFX. My son and I detect together on a weekly basis. He uses the DFX. We compare signals often. Depthwise it is rare for me in Ohio to get a signal that my son cannot get with his DFX. The main difference is that the deep(6-10”) trashy signals(pull tabs, rusty iorn, etc) on the DFX sound like coins whereas the Quattro gives you an accurate ID. But when it comes to cherry picking silver the DFX is as good if not better than the Quattro.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread