An Uncommon Coin Spill

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I spent two hours at a soccer field before a game was about to start and then moved to a softball field for another hour before calling it quits. In those three hours of hunting, I dug 48 coins with a face value of $9.72, including a coin spill of three 1979 Susan B. Anthony dollar coins. They were lost fairly recently because they were just barely starting to sink into the ground. I also dug a junk rhinestone earring and a soccer badge.

Attachments

• IMG_1438.JPG
    IMG_1438.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_1439.JPG
    IMG_1439.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_1440.JPG
    IMG_1440.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 160
Upvote 48
OP
OP
Clad2Silver

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Post Office here in Reno used Susan B's as change in the stamp machines for years and I'm sure other locations did also. It angered a lot of people, too easy to confuse with quarters.
Back in the day, twenty cent pieces were getting confused with quarters. That's why the "golden" dollars they're cranking out now are a different metal which gives them a different color, and the rims are smooth which is to help blind people know they're not a quarter.

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I spent two hours at a soccer field before a game was about to start and then moved to a softball field for another hour before calling it quits. In those three hours of hunting, I dug 48 coins with a face value of $9.72, including a coin spill of three 1979 Susan B. Anthony dollar coins. They were lost fairly recently because they were just barely starting to sink into the ground. I also dug a junk rhinestone earring and a soccer badge.
Good day coinshooting there!

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, there goes some little guys ice cream money..............

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The Susan B went over about like a lead balloon. That odd shape and the size just didn,t cut it,even for vending machines. Nice finds you made.
I still feel bad but when i was ten there was a dude working at 7-11 who accidentally gave me four susan-B's as change for quarters for the ole pinball machine so I went back like five more times and loaded up, hope the guy didn't get canned over it prolly screwed my karma for life but couldn't help myself (devil inside as INXS says). Sorry man!

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still feel bad but when i was ten there was a dude working at 7-11 who accidentally gave me four susan-B's as change for quarters for the ole pinball machine so I went back like five more times and loaded up, hope the guy didn't get canned over it prolly screwed my karma for life but couldn't help myself (devil inside as INXS says). Sorry man!
You,re good.You were just a kid,I don,t think what you do as a kid follows you forever.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's that old saying? If you hadn't done it someone else would've.

OP
OP
Clad2Silver

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Susan B went over about like a lead balloon. That odd shape and the size just didn,t cut it,even for vending machines. Nice finds you made.
Thanks.....The SBA did go over like a lead balloon and those Sacagawea and Presidential dollars are going over like lead balloons too. In my humble opinion the SBA dollar is one of the ugliest coins we've ever minted.

Shakakka

May 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm from NY, and for quite a few years these were given as change at machines that dispensed railroad tickets. This was before digital payments of course, but people who paid $20 cash to buy a $17.50 ticket would get two Susan B Anthony dollars and two quarters change, for example.

Other than that, they were hardly used at all. Even by banks.

QUESTION: When I went to London in the late 90's, I was fascinated by the fact they had no paper 1-pound notes. They used coins ("quid") for that. So what did you guys do in strip clubs????

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nice haul, thanks for posting

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm from NY, and for quite a few years these were given as change at machines that dispensed railroad tickets. This was before digital payments of course, but people who paid $20 cash to buy a $17.50 ticket would get two Susan B Anthony dollars and two quarters change, for example.

Other than that, they were hardly used at all. Even by banks.

QUESTION: When I went to London in the late 90's, I was fascinated by the fact they had no paper 1-pound notes. They used coins ("quid") for that. So what did you guys do in strip clubs????
Put em in the other pocket......... Adapt overcome get er 👍👍👍

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like Bazooka best and Super Bubble next.You can hardly ever find it anymore around here. I think you can still get a wholesale size jar or box on Amazon of course.
Walmart had the jars a few months ago. Haven't paid attention lately. Hooked on the big green sour apple gum balls. Oh! A piece on the end of my pencil works great for fishing diamond studs out of the coin star machines. Bazooka don't stick.

Traffer

Dec 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bet that earring had your heart racing for a minute.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread