Aug 23, 2008
Toplita , Romania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500 & Pro Pointer / Detech EDS Plus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello friends

A few days ago I went into a neighboring area where my village in WW 1 were fought heavy battles between Roman and Austro-Hungarian troops.There I climbed the rocky forested slope of a hill,with a very steep climb angle of 60-70 degrees,where I found besides a set of firing that were under a layer of vegetation about 2 inches tubes cartridges.In the same area we detected under a layer of earth about 8-10 inches,a piece of bronze like a ribbon,with a kind of ornament on her broken at both ends and I clean it looks pretty good...I thought maybe something earlier than during World War 1 it was pretty deep cartridge into the ground before it can be also a subset of a gun that I do not know ... Thats why I posted here a few photos of the bronze piece,can anyone of you tell me what it is... Thanks a lot :dontknow: :help:

Attachments

• 30ka5tw.jpg
    30ka5tw.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 410
  • v4w55z.jpg
    v4w55z.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 414
  • 257neoz.jpg
    257neoz.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 406
  • 2i0buj5.jpg
    2i0buj5.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 405
Upvote 0

Lazy J

Greenie
Oct 2, 2009
Washington the state
Detector(s) used
Whites V3
I'd guess a driving band of an artillary shell. They press copper alloy bands on the projectile to engage the rifling in a small area. Keeps friction and heat low while imparting spin. Saves a lot of wear and tear on the barrel. Cool find!

T

cuzcosquirrel

Aug 20, 2008
I have seen some copper bands like this left from WW2 costal artillery shells, but the grove indent is smaller and finer, and the band width greater. They are strange looking because they look like the teeth stripped off the rim of a copper gear.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread