An unusal assortment of bought things

alexlenehan

Greenie
May 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked these up at a consignment store auction, I really know nothing about them although I have been around long enough to know that these are probably reproductions or flights of fancy. I am also not sure of what to photograph or what terms to use so please bear with me!

Thanks ever so much for any help or advice!

Alex

IMG_5212.jpg

First, a broken granite ax head

IMG_5126.jpg

IMG_5131.jpg

IMG_5135.jpg

IMG_5138.jpg

A pointy scraper?

IMG_5140.jpg

IMG_5144.jpg

IMG_5147.jpg

IMG_5150.jpg

A round hammer?

IMG_5153.jpg

IMG_5158.jpg

A decorated plummet?

IMG_5162.jpg

IMG_5166.jpg

IMG_5169.jpg

IMG_5171.jpg

IMG_5173.jpg

IMG_5180.jpg

IMG_5184.jpg

IMG_5249.jpg

IMG_5256.jpg

A decorated stone that seems to have been joined or repaired

IMG_5097.jpg

IMG_5101.jpg

IMG_5104.jpg

IMG_5108.jpg

IMG_5118.jpg

IMG_5125.jpg

IMG_5194.jpg

IMG_5239.jpg

Upvote 0

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Broken hammer looks good, the hammer stone looks good the pointy scraper, most likely natural and not an artifact.

The rest, the incised pieces, I couldn't tell you, but I would be cautious.

OP
OP
A

alexlenehan

Greenie
May 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks so much quito, that is better news than expected!

OP
OP
A

alexlenehan

Greenie
May 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool! I am guessing the other two pieces are probably modern fanciful etchings. Although, the plummetish one definitely seems to have been done in a very time consuming way, chipped and worn rather than drilled and filed, is that a good sign or just the way they are done?

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The broken axe or adze looks Ok, the second item as stated already looks natural. The item don't look like a plummet from NA and the lines looks good, but seem to be real deeper than usual.The cravings on the other stone from what I see were made by a modern rotary tool. There cool, the plummet I would have to see under a scope.

OP
OP
A

alexlenehan

Greenie
May 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, thanks monsterrack. If I can pick up a scope what should I be looking for? This all new to me and so interesting!

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, thanks monsterrack. If I can pick up a scope what should I be looking for? This all new to me and so interesting!

If you notice ,the lines on the flat slab have a rounded look to them and some just stop with a straight end. With a good strong scope you will be able to see the marks left by a drill. A hand held scope some times are not strong enough to see this, you may have to use a microscope, but you can get some strong hand held scopes off of Amazon. Also some of the lines have a angel cut to them , when using a stone tool you want get that type of mark. When ancient people made items that had cravings, every mark was at a different angle so you never get that smooth straight cut, because your hand moves a small amount. I meant to say the hammer stone looks good and well used, most people will not fake a hammer stone that looks that good because they are not worth much money. The plummet just looks different in shape and style from what I have seen that's why I not sure on it. The last photo of the tablet is where I get my call that it was done with modern tools ,look how the lines of the head just stop like a dug out ditch with a straight up bank at the end. I have not had the chance to look over the photos on my computer at home, I can get a closer look then.

OP
OP
A

alexlenehan

Greenie
May 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's interesting, I have had someone contact me outside the board to suggest that the plummet might be neolithic Chinese...the plot thickens! Thank you all so much for your help with this, I have ordered a 40x magnifier with a light which it will be fun to play with. In the meantime I have taken a few pictures with my macro lens, mostly for practice!

Face stone

IMG_5388.jpg

IMG_5399.jpg

IMG_5416.jpg

IMG_5439.jpg

"Plummet"

IMG_5267.jpg

IMG_5278.jpg

IMG_5468.jpg

IMG_5479.jpg

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The grooves in the plummet thing looks better than the flat rock. Here is what just jumps out at me. Every where I have a red line or a circle, are spots that look like ones made by modern tools. t net 1.jpg tnet 2.jpg On the deer's leg and the armadillo's head look like where the tool stopped and the lines on the body of the deer look to be the same size in width and depth. On the fish you can see the same thing and also on the fish where they were making scale marks in between the 2 spots I have marked you can see where the tool dipped down into the other markings making a deeper cut. Also if you look at the grooves made on the deer and the armadillo they have one side that is at a good slant and the other side is almost straight down in the angle, this happens when you hold a modern tool at an angle. Hope this helps.

S

stefen

Might think about the overall relationship of the grouping...

Also research historically the geographic location of the armadillo (Texas Speed-bump) their migration range began in Mexico and slowly moved northwestward. There are some varieties of deer, in the Mexican territory but trout?

The mixture doesn't make sense.

OP
OP
A

alexlenehan

Greenie
May 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is great monsterrack, I actually noticed the overlap on the deer leg when I was preparing the pictures, as you say it seems like the side effect of tools that work faster than traditional methods.

OP
OP
A

alexlenehan

Greenie
May 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are, of course, right stefen. To be honest I thought the midde animal was an anteater!

S

stefen

Could be an anteater...something ain't right...maybe its me.

That's my WAG...

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
I'd say it is an armadillo being depicted.

The ears are to big, and the snout to short for an ant eater.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread