Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
Mainedigger said:
Thanks for all the input and suggestions on this button, very much appreciated!!! I talked with the guy that found it and suggested he try some Naval jelly on it to see if he can clean it up some more and get some more detail to show and will post more pics if he gets them.
The knowledge that members here have and the willingness to share that knowledge and help educate the rest of us always amazes me and is what makes this forum so fantastic!!..thanks again for all the help!!

You are joking - DO NOT USE ANYTHING ON THIS (SPECIALLY NAVAL JELLY)! Its pewter, not copper-alloy!

Thanks for the tip...I passed it along!!!

Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mainedigger said:
CRUSADER said:
Mainedigger said:
Thanks for all the input and suggestions on this button, very much appreciated!!! I talked with the guy that found it and suggested he try some Naval jelly on it to see if he can clean it up some more and get some more detail to show and will post more pics if he gets them.
The knowledge that members here have and the willingness to share that knowledge and help educate the rest of us always amazes me and is what makes this forum so fantastic!!..thanks again for all the help!!

You are joking - DO NOT USE ANYTHING ON THIS (SPECIALLY NAVAL JELLY)! Its pewter, not copper-alloy!

Thanks for the tip...I passed it along!!!

For sure. There's no making that button better.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I dont have Alberts book and excuse me if this has already been IDed but could it be French Naval and Colonial Armies? http://www.artifacts.org/francepage.htm Can someone post the pic from Alberts?

Attachments

• button French_Marines 1772-1789.jpg
    button French_Marines 1772-1789.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 127
  • button French_Marines 1772-1789.jpg
    button French_Marines 1772-1789.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 123
Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's mine from a few years back. Bit of a slice in it, but i still like it a lot being something different.

Attachments

• an1.jpg
    an1.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 129
  • an2.jpg
    an2.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 151
Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Iron Patch said:
Here's mine from a few years back. Bit of a slice in it, but i still like it a lot being something different.
Great pics Iron Patch. It looks like a French Armées Naval et Coloniale to me. Can someone post a pic of Alberts Continental Army to compare?

A variety of buttons like those above were worn by enlisted members of the French Armées Naval et Coloniale (Naval and Colonial Armies), which included naval, marine, and colonial infantry forces. Naval and Marine forces wore gold or "yellow" colored buttons, while colonial troops were called upon to use "white" or silver colored versions of these patterns. Officers wore foil-clad, bone backed versions of these and other, similar "anchor button" designs.

Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigcypresshunter said:
Iron Patch said:
Great pics Iron Patch. It looks like a French Armées Naval et Coloniale to me. Can someone post a pic of Alberts Continental Army to compare?

A variety of buttons like those above were worn by enlisted members of the French Armées Naval et Coloniale (Naval and Colonial Armies), which included naval, marine, and colonial infantry forces. Naval and Marine forces wore gold or "yellow" colored buttons, while colonial troops were called upon to use "white" or silver colored versions of these patterns. Officers wore foil-clad, bone backed versions of these and other, similar "anchor button" designs.

The Continental Army copied the French style, notice mine had what looks like a regular shank. Also, my button is lead, not really what you'd expect from a French Naval Officer. Troiani's book says the Continental Army made these in lead, at least that's what I seem to remember reading. Would have to check again to be 100% sure.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread