Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you post the back? So many anchor buttons are close, a maker's mark and type of shank would at least set the general direction.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mainedigger

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
Can you post the back? So many anchor buttons are close, a maker's mark and type of shank would at least set the general direction.

The back of it is the top picture...

Upvote 0

IronSpike

Silver Member
Feb 24, 2009
NC
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it copper or pewter? Size? Nice anchor button :icon_sunny:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mainedigger

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:

Iron patch...here is a better pic of the back...I haven;t seen the button personally, jsut the pictures but the back does appear like it may possibly be pewter but I can't say for sure.. :icon_scratch:

Attachments

• button.jpg
    button.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 226
Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have Alberts check NA 2 on page 86. (Continental Navy) Pic is hard to compare.

Upvote 0

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ironpatch, I see if you do look at a 2A in Alberts that one has the same double ringed rim as Mainediggers has (a larger ring with a smaller ring inside that one). The stock on Albert's example turns up, while Mainediggers seems straighter. The arms and flukes are also larger on digger's than any examples in Albert.

But... The examples in Albert's are very rare, to the point where he is showing barely more than a fragment in a couple different design examples. This could very well be an unaccounted for button. It's premature to vote banner yet, but I'm tempted. Great find!

Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
johnnyi said:
Ironpatch, I see if you do look at a 2A in Alberts that one has the same double ringed rim as Mainediggers has (a larger ring with a smaller ring inside that one). The stock on Albert's example turns up, while Mainediggers seems straighter. The arms and flukes are also larger on digger's than any examples in Albert.

But... The examples in Albert's are very rare, to the point where he is showing barely more than a fragment in a couple different design examples. This could very well be an unaccounted for button. It's premature to vote banner yet, but I'm tempted. Great find!

They can be pretty tough to track down when they're not an exact match. I have a similar one in the French style, but because it's lead and looks like it was a normal type shank attached I think it's probably Continental Navy. It was a very out of place dig for my area.

Upvote 0

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Iron patch, could there have been Naval activity in the Great lakes region at this time which might have brought it closer to you? I believe right aftet the Rev War some of the black enlisted naval men served in that region.

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice & early type :icon_thumright: I'm thinking, not British.

Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
johnnyi said:
Iron patch, could there have been Naval activity in the Great lakes region at this time which might have brought it closer to you? I believe right aftet the Rev War some of the black enlisted naval men served in that region.

I am very far from the Great Lakes and the problem is both a Rev War French & Continental Navy would be very rare for here. Going by Troiani's book I really lean towards American, but for the history of my area a French settler or even a returning one could also be possible. There was nothing else found with it and for a few years now I've been waiting for a chance to try the field beside which is always grown up.

Upvote 0

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
One thing to remember is that finding coat/uniform buttons does not mean that a person was there. It could have been that just the uniform/clothes were there. I do know that many items of clothing wind up a long way away from where they were worn/used. If the cloth was in good shape, it was worth money. The cloth may have been part of a shipment of clothing items to be "remanufactured" into something else or the wool reprocessed for some other use. If the cloth/clothing/uniform was in bad/bug-infested condition, it was many times sold in bales for a variety of uses. Sometimes they were plowed into fields to add organic material to the fields.

So when we try to ID a button, don't let where it was found have too much influence on the ID. It is what it is no matter where it is found.

Just my 2 cents.

Daryl

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BioProfessor said:
One thing to remember is that finding coat/uniform buttons does not mean that a person was there. It could have been that just the uniform/clothes were there. I do know that many items of clothing wind up a long way away from where they were worn/used. If the cloth was in good shape, it was worth money. The cloth may have been part of a shipment of clothing items to be "remanufactured" into something else or the wool reprocessed for some other use. If the cloth/clothing/uniform was in bad/bug-infested condition, it was many times sold in bales for a variety of uses. Sometimes they were plowed into fields to add organic material to the fields.

So when we try to ID a button, don't let where it was found have too much influence on the ID. It is what it is no matter where it is found.

Just my 2 cents.

Daryl

agreed, to much is put on where things are found....

Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
BioProfessor said:

Just my 2 cents.

Daryl

agreed, to much is put on where things are found....

Judging by my button finds I see that as possible but don't give it much consideration. I have never found a button that was not from the settlers who came here... French, British, and American. I'm still waiting for my first Turkish button... maybe someday huh! ;D

Coins definitely got around and nothing here surprises me, but buttons... nope. Whether a button was worn on a uniform or brought over in a trunk with several, it's still a person from the same place as where the coat came from, so is just the same when considering why it is here.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mainedigger

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the input and suggestions on this button, very much appreciated!!! I talked with the guy that found it and suggested he try some Naval jelly on it to see if he can clean it up some more and get some more detail to show and will post more pics if he gets them.
The knowledge that members here have and the willingness to share that knowledge and help educate the rest of us always amazes me and is what makes this forum so fantastic!!..thanks again for all the help!!

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mainedigger said:
Thanks for all the input and suggestions on this button, very much appreciated!!! I talked with the guy that found it and suggested he try some Naval jelly on it to see if he can clean it up some more and get some more detail to show and will post more pics if he gets them.
The knowledge that members here have and the willingness to share that knowledge and help educate the rest of us always amazes me and is what makes this forum so fantastic!!..thanks again for all the help!!

You are joking - DO NOT USE ANYTHING ON THIS (SPECIALLY NAVAL JELLY)! Its pewter, not copper-alloy!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread