Anchor Found, Help With Info Please

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Put this in this section of the site, seemed to be the only suitable place for it since it was a find from my Mother back in 41 at the beach in Port A Texas. Anyway, I am having the cowboys clean out my folks house and ship me their things. I asked them to give me the specs on the anchor below is what all they sent me, I guess I do not speak anchor because they measured out everything and seem to have a name for every part. LOL

Just wondering if folks know anything about anchors, maybe how old it is. This has bee hanging over the fire place at their house along with a ships bell that was found. Pics are crap, but they ship all stuff up here in a few weeks so I will be able to take better pics if these do not work for you guys.

Thanks for the help.

Weight 37 Pounds

Palm 3.5 x 4

Fluke 9"

Bill 4"

Arm 7.5 doubled

Crown 2.5 x 2

Shank 32.5. Circumference 4"

Throat 1.5"

Head 7" x 3" there is no stock never had one

Eye is double 1"

Total Bill 31.5" along metal. Open across 22.5"

Total top to bottom length 41.5"

anchor0.JPG

OP
OP
Oddjob

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Onlly have a few pics but I guess they are too big for one post, so making a few more post.

anchor1.JPG

OP
OP
Oddjob

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is another

anchor2.JPG

OP
OP
Oddjob

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
And another

anchor3.JPG

OP
OP
Oddjob

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Last one folks.

anchor4.JPG

OP
OP
Oddjob

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
One more thing, I was told there are no marking on it. but who could tell inn that light. Soon as it gets here I will have a better.

Thanks folks,

OP
OP
Oddjob

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
any ideas folks?

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Only guesses.
A Rodgers , or Kedge type.
Yours is missing the perpendicular cross piece that would go through the lower hole that helps the flukes bite. Due to how the anchor would ride the bottom.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Odd... guess I missed this thread...

Its a "removable stock anchor".

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Odd... guess I missed this thread...

Its a "removable stock anchor".

Could it be 1830 or earlier era?

(Quote below from ,of all places , Wiki... And ARRC , you are far more knowledgeable.)

[Admiralty Pattern

An Admiralty Pattern anchor; when deployed on the seafloor the stock forces one of its flukes into the bottom
The Admiralty Pattern, "A.P.", or simply "Admiralty", and also known as "Fisherman", is the anchor shape most familiar to non-sailors. It consists of a central shank with a ring or shackle for attaching the rode. At the other end of the shank there are two arms, carrying the flukes, while the stock is mounted to the shackle end, at ninety degrees to the arms. When the anchor lands on the bottom, it will generally fall over with the arms parallel to the seabed. As a strain comes onto the rode, the stock will dig into the bottom, canting the anchor until one of the flukes catches and digs into the bottom.

This basic design remained unchanged for centuries, with the most significant changes being to the overall proportions, and a move from stocks made of wood to iron stocks in the late 1830s and early 1840s. Since one fluke always protrudes up from the set anchor, there is a great tendency of the rode to foul the anchor as the vessel swings due to wind or current shifts. When this happens, the anchor may be pulled out of the bottom, and in some cases may need to be hauled up to be re-set. In the mid-19th century, numerous modifications were attempted to alleviate these problems, as well as improve holding power, including one-armed mooring anchors. The most successful of these patent anchors, the Trotman Anchor, introduced a pivot where the arms join the shank, allowing the "idle" arm to fold against the shank.

Handling and storage of these anchors requires special equipment and procedures. Once the anchor is hauled up to the hawsepipe, the ring end is hoisted up to the end of a timber projecting from the bow known as the cathead. The crown of the anchor is then hauled up with a heavy tackle until one fluke can be hooked over the rail. This is known as "catting and fishing" the anchor. Before dropping the anchor, the fishing process is reversed, and the anchor is dropped from the end of the cathead.]

OP
OP
Oddjob

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
My goodness folks, you all know lots about this sort of stuff.

Happy to know what that other hole is for now.

But I have another question, is it possible that this could have been used on a small livestock barge that would have only held about 30 head of cattle.

Another question, did they have welding machines back then?

Also those holes to me always looked very round, like done with a drill.

I know it sounds highly ignorant, thats because I am in this area (likely many other areas too), but is this actually a production part or some home made job that would have been done by a coastal cattle ranch.

I keep coming back to cattle ranch because of a ranch that is down there has always been fairly close with our families ranches, and like us own ranches all over the world. Way back in the day one heck of a hurricane nailed the Texas coast, levelled this one ranch that was under cattle grazing lease to the Kings and the Kings lost all of their barges.

My mother found it long ago, hung above the fire place ever since I could remember. We have a bell too she found there as well, bell says Black Devil, that was the name of one of the barges that where lost.

Just really trying to see if it is plausible that the anchor could have been something from that barge because I am sending the Bell to the King Ranch and if it is possible the anchor is part of it, then I want them to have it as well.

Thank you folks.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coorecto... known as a Fisherman anchor... its alos called a "kedge"... and navel / navy... admiralty blah blah... etc.

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you recover or buy this ?

If so... go back and get the stock.

OP
OP
Oddjob

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Did you recover or buy this ?

If so... go back and get the stock.

No my mother recovered this along with a bell back in 1941, hung over the fire place since I could remember. After her and my father where killed in 2003 I just had not really made the time to go back to the ranch and clean the main house out. Ranch is still operational, but I am having the cowboys clean everything out and send it up to me.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tis a really cool one... hand forged it appears. which means its got some age for sure.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Not finding a craft named black devil.
But getting an idea of where the name came from...

[El Diablo Negro is one of the many myths that we have about sharks that most think are just local superstitions. The fact is that myths seem to come from fact. The myth is that El Diablo Negro (The Black Demon) is a myth down in Mexico. It is said to be a 60+ foot shark that is known to attack boats. Many of the science people say that it is a Great White but there are others who would say that it is Megalodon.]

(https://worldofmythologyblog.wordpress.com/category/el-diablo-negro/)

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Data regarding the vessel ,or captain ,or owner might be in Mexican archives? Or , depending on revolution , Spain's archives.
Knowing what hurricane could narrow the era too....

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread