What's new

Ancient pottery or newer?

EricTheCat

Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 4, 2011
Messages
494
Reaction score
546
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this piece of pottery in a local field today. I wondered if you think it is from Native Americans or if you think it is newer than that? It does not look like the usual piece I see posted around here, most notably it seems thicker (almost 1/2 inch thick at the base). It does appear to have some texture to it (strait horizontal lines). The clay used has small rock in it. There seems to be some paint on it. It just looks much older than most of the pieces of pottery/ceramic I see around this field so I thought I better ask even though I suspect more modern.

Pottery-2015-06-27-Img_6832SSS.webp

Pottery-2015-06-27-Img_6834SSS.webp

Thanks for looking and happy hunting,
Eric
 
Upvote 0
Looks newer, not Native American.
 
Definitely not Native American but does look old.
 
Probably looked more like this at one time

stonewareJugsBeerBottle.webp
 
Thanks guys! My instinct was right about this one. Nice to know I don't need to collect more pieces of this one should I find them next hunt. :)

GatorBoy, yeah many of the pieces in the field look much more like that. I guess time was rough on today's find. The road by the field once was a plank road constructed in 1857, was a main route before that.
 
Last edited:
Try this next time :-)

ForumRunner_20150627_213500.webp
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom