What's new

Ancient Real or Fake?

snizzard

Greenie
Joined
Apr 8, 2009
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
F5
My mom found this walking on a beach. I think its a fake.
 

Attachments

  • token1b.webp
    token1b.webp
    23.6 KB · Views: 696
  • token1a.webp
    token1a.webp
    19.2 KB · Views: 662
I vote Fake/copy
 
Upvote 0
Good eye Alchemy it does look like it says copy. So the copy is still silver and is a neat find :icon_sunny:
 
Upvote 0
I think we can put this one done as fake. I can clearly see the word COPY.
 

Attachments

  • tokencopy.webp
    tokencopy.webp
    5 KB · Views: 359
Upvote 0
Eyeballed on the beach in this condition its probably recently lost and not silver. She found it 20 years ago and the US Hobby Protection Act was in 1975- http://www.greatamericancoincompany...e-US-Hobby-Protection-Act-15USC-2101-c15.html so you can estimate this coin as made from 1975-1989. I would say most likely 1989 because it looks like a recently lost item with no corrosion. Possibly nickel plated depiction of Alexander the Great in Persia 3rd century BC ..
 
Upvote 0
Well, they did make copies in silver as well. I think the cost of silver in 1975 was fairly low, even for those times, so there is a good chance it's silver too. If they went through the trouble of marking it with the copy, to sell as an ancient Roman copy, they may have made it silver to get the most out out of it (selling cost wise) Though, not all that valuable as a "silver" piece, since it probably only weighs 20 some grams.
Still a neat find :wink:
 
Upvote 0
snizzard said:
I think we can put this one done as fake. I can clearly see the word COPY.


snizzard,

If you feel this is solved,

Go back to your original post,

Click on modify,

Click on Message Icon down arrow,

Click on Solved,

the green check will appear.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom