Ancient Roman ring identification needed

Sep 18, 2011
Attached are images of a Roman ring I recently acquired at an artifact show. Upon looking at it further, in my opinion it appears to be a seal ring. My first question, is it a seal ring? If so, can anyone identify what the seal may represent?

Secondly, I'm estimating the ring be from the second or third century A.D. Based on the looks, can this be confirmed?

Also, there appears to be either blue paint for blue patina on parts of ring as well.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    749.1 KB · Views: 373
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    700.3 KB · Views: 227
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    688.5 KB · Views: 257
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    627.3 KB · Views: 381
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    679.2 KB · Views: 219

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A seal ring? sure!... It does look old, but in the Roman style??? That's out of my league. Blue paint sounds a little fishy...Someone should come along that knows what you have.

Upvote 0

Sentrom

Oct 18, 2012
Near Chicago
Detector(s) used
Pioneer EX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am going to really stretch here......... The first thing that came to mind was an Egyptian hieroglyph symbol. But when I took out my book I couldn’t place it. It kind of looks like a stylized Sema (lungs attached to the windpipe) which is a hieroglyph symbol that represents the unification of Upper and Lower Egypt. Most of the time it will have the Sema bound with two plants, the papyrus and the lotus, but not always. Of course the windpipe should be longer……the lines on top.... perhaps plants, rain or sun rays......

Any way my bet is a stylized hieroglyph.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions