And we had a spectacular daye on a VERY old eastern shore site!

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
thats the best day i jave seen anyone have in a long long time! :o :o :o outstanding! this one gets my vote for the best of t-net thread!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seriously...this is simply amazing, and I concur that it belongs on the best finds thread at the top of the page!

Buckleboy

OP
OP
gwdigger

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow, I am really pleased with all the nice comments and so quickly too. Indeed it has been a long, long time since we found such a site. The coin Gods were shining on us. We had tried so many areas but had only found one meager site after the other over the last few years, it was nice to finally get a really phenomenal hunt. Id say we only hit the site for about 3.5 hours so we are surely headed back. The finds were shallow and the deepest was just 4.5 inches, my cob was only 2 inches deep. There was enough pollen in the purple field flowers to fill ones sinus cavities and I am still on fire from that. But it wont be enough to keep us away!

We will keep you posted on the finds, hopefully we will return early this week. The site was full of iron so I am going to try a really small loop.

HH, Gary

OP
OP
gwdigger

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
dr-quest said:
Outstanding finds.I can only dream of finding that many coins that old in a day :o
Thats a story for W&E ,Have you cleaned out, ::) better get back there soon.Did the third friend only get the indian head,man he must be bumed. :-\
HH :D

The 3rd friend got a 1690s farthing and a 1690s halfpenny. He was using a huge loop which I think ruined his chances for alot of finds. Why? Because the site was LOADED with iron. Next time we go back, I am using a 6" or SMALLER coil to get "in between" all the iron pieces. None of the finds were more than 4.5 inches down. We may also try to really "clean out" the iron and see if anything is beneath. Quite a chore but this site needs special attention.

HH, Gary

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats some very cool finds.Congrats. Why would British and Spanish coins of the Era [1690's] be in the same location? History records them as deadly enemies at this time.

tinpan

OP
OP
gwdigger

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
tinpan said:
Thats some very cool finds.Congrats. Why would British and Spanish coins of the Era [1690's] be in the same location? History records them as deadly enemies at this time.

tinpan

Enemies they were but gold and silver and copper is gold and silver and copper and you and I would spend it no matter whos arms and kings/ queens were on the coins. Research shipwrecks and you will find Dutch, French, British and Spanish coins and items in the same pile. Same to be said for the home sites. HH, Gary

HH, Gary

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I'm just wondering if this is gonna make it to the top thread of the site?! I really think that a hunt like this is the pinnacle of old coin hunting! Hopefully it makes it. Congrats again on such an outstanding hunt.

Buckleboy

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
Spanish Reales were 'coin of the realm' back then...meaning everyone used it for cash transactions. Kinda like an international monetary unit if you will.

Does not surprise me that you found some, only at how old they are!!
;D

artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow!! That site is a dream find for most detectorists. I am so homesick for the east coast. I'm a native Long Islander who relocated to the midwest. When I see what you all find back east, all I can think is "I WANT TO GO HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" My husband's parents live in Cecil County, MD. I hope that we can get back there this fall because I can think of at least 100 places that I'd like to swing a coil over.

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wow what a site! Some great finds there! Reales were used almost up to Civil war period as legal tender. Pretty exciting site! WTG!

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A virgin site of that age is what we all dream of! Love the spanish silver !!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This post DESERVED to be brought back up top. It didn't get many hits at first, but I recommended it for the Best of Tnet. I don't even know if the thread's original author is still on the site...

In my opinion, this was some of the best coin hunting anyone could ever ask for.

-Buckleboy

trikikiwi

Silver Member
Oct 5, 2006
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do appreciate Buckleboy bringing this post to the fore.

I have to agree with his comments too.
That's such an awesome group of finds.
I can feel the history oozing out of them.

Cheers, Mike

OP
OP
gwdigger

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey all...I havent been on this site for a long long time. When did this post make the best of treasurenet? Thats really cool. I thought this was one heck of a hunt but wasnt sure if it would be appreciated. Sorry to say I havent been back out detecting in eons. I will be visiting this site come fall - some cooler days need to filter in 1st.

HH, Gary

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't say I've had a day quite like that for coin finds but I can certainly relate to being down to your last out and seeing the hits start to come. Several times I've had hunting partners walking out of the field and I hit just enough iron to stop me and there was a site close. I was even the one ready to leave one time too. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread