Yak1366

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2017
Ringgold, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett ATPro, ProPointer AT, Retriever II
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Again & Happy Thanksgiving! Found this item a while back in an area with history from CW to WWII. All I can make out is that it reads "Annual" at the top and "Encampment" at the bottom. And at the 10 o'clock & 2 o'clock position there is a capital S overlaid with a V. Not saying its anything special, kind of looks like a police badge. The single ring is still intact at the top like it may have hung from a ribbon?

Attachments

• Annual Encampment Front.jpg
    Annual Encampment Front.jpg
    561.1 KB · Views: 95
  • Annual Encampment Back.jpg
    Annual Encampment Back.jpg
    615.2 KB · Views: 89

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
part of a civil war veterans reunion pin/ribbon/badge. not sure of year or if it's northern or southern veterans. maybe you can soak some of the crust off of it

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Yak1366

Yak1366

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2017
Ringgold, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the info jewelerguy. I recall searching for this piece when I found it and never came to find a matching image on google. Now after googling your description, I see I have a "Sons of Veterans" (S over V) reunion badge. There are also "Sons of Union Veterans" badges (S,U,V overlaid in the same fashion). I'm going to keep digging and leave the post unsolved for now. I'd really like to know if anyone can date it more accurately as it seems to be a lot less fancy than the ones I see on the google result.

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The distinctive intertwined SV logo on it represents the Sons of Veterans, which is the yankee equivalent of the Sons of Confederate Veterans organization. See a Sons of Veterans uniform button in the first photo below. Second photo shows SoV of New York even had their own NY-state-related emblem on their 3-piece (Officer) SoV buttons.

Saying "Annual Encampment" indicates it has a year-date on it somewhere... but perhaps not. You could probably find a match-up for it by websearching Sons of Veterans convention or reunion badges.

To help find an exact match-up, you might want to try gently cleaning some of the green crust off the badge's center, to see what sort of emblem it has.

After-posting edit:
I see the finder, Yak1366, did some websearching while I was typing this reply and adding the photos to it. So basicly, I'm just confirming that it it a Sons of Veterans convention badge.

Attachments

• button_veterans_POSTWAR_SV_Sons-of-Union-Veterans_photobyRelicman_B6514A.jpg
    button_veterans_POSTWAR_SV_Sons-of-Union-Veterans_photobyRelicman_B6514A.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 63
  • button_veterans_Sons-Of-Union-Veterans_1881-&-later_TN_photobyCoilyGirl.jpg
    button_veterans_Sons-Of-Union-Veterans_1881-&-later_TN_photobyCoilyGirl.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Yak1366

Yak1366

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2017
Ringgold, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I am in awe of the knowledge base I have subscribed to by joining this website. Thank you gentlemen.

The second pic you posted cannonballguy had me looking closer at the badge for elements of that design. I now see the shield with the sun rays, the man on the left and the triple banner at the bottom.

This link: About the SUVCW ? Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War
defines that it was issued between 1881 & 1924, between the time of the GAR & SUVCW.

Upvote 0

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another awesome Civil War related find.

Very Cool. Very!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread