What's new

Another Civil War button and Eagle??

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Joined
Nov 19, 2013
Messages
1,631
Reaction score
1,552
Golden Thread
1
Location
NY
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Minelab X-Terra Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT, WTB Black Tesoro Vaquero with RSD coil PM me!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hit a site today that has produced civil war buttons before and I turned up another beauty of a general service button but also found this other eagle about 6 or 7 feet from the button. Anyone seen this before? Looks stamped with a rivet threw the tail?
IMG_20151102_063302.webp
ATT_1446515794574_CAM01540.webp
CAM01541.webp



CAM01558.webp
CAM01559.webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 16
Button Back Marks. I have been using this website I have found it very useful. This is not directed at anyone in particular just useful info for the future

This seams to use broader date ranges. 1850-1865 according to your page.
 
Another factor involved is that they were known to use old leftover button backs when they switch the front to a newer style which makes it really hard to nail it down definitively.
 
My opinion however is that this button is likely Civil War era
 
My opinion however is that this button is likely Civil War era

Most likely, The newest coin to come out of this site was a 1857 flying eagle along with flat buttons, pewter utensil pieces, another general service button, civil war zouave ball button and jacksonian eagle button.
 
I believe I have the wing to one of these... I'll have to look for it tomorrow... I was thinking my wing I found belonged to an angel or something else of the sort...
 
I believe yours is the earlier version dating to 1854. It is GI94-A-3 in Albert's book. In case you aren't familiar with the abbreviations the rmdc means Raised Mark Depressed Channel and refers to the backmark. The RV1 means Relative Value with 1 being the most common. The higher the number the rarer the button.

Just got my Alberts Book about a year ago, & until now thought the RV meant $ & was amazed at the Low prices certain buttons had.
 
Nice finds Showtime.
Imo That is as nice a GS button that can be dug these days.
Also I agree Id,ing that Eagle was a great job..

Have you Chilled on the Bike riding yet or still at it?
 
The name Showtime actually came from stunt riding street bikes, not being a couch potato lol
View attachment 1231006

Mr. Showtime you got that right , ??? .. tired of the couch potato
plopped front of their computer "never posting a find ".
... bring something to the table. At least prove you own a detector :occasion14: good stuff !
 
Nice finds Showtime.
Imo That is as nice a GS button that can be dug these days.
Also I agree Id,ing that Eagle was a great job..

Have you Chilled on the Bike riding yet or still at it?

I have toned it down a notch, I'm only 30 now but I don't feel as invincible as I used to in my 20's haha Definitely no more endo's
small_DSC01230_brianendo.webp
cbr endo.webp
 
Last edited:
Yea man when your a thrill seeker & love that adrenaline rush and therefore live life on the edge , making 30 is an accomplishment.
A little older & maybe a little Smarter.

Around Atlanta we Have I-285 that circles the City, Avg Speed is 80 'ish and a few times I have Seen groups of Guys Flying by some doing Wheelies at 70+ mph & most doing over 100 and I think "man their Gonna Die Soon"

Also about 15 years ago I had a buddy In the 'Shrubbery' business & always needed a Quick get away, he talked me into getting on his 'Crouch Rocket' with him ONCE!, I knew the way he rode.
Next I found myself Squeezing the Guts out of Him as we were doing 115 Down GA 400 & i'm thinking whats gonna happen to me if we wipe out.
Needless to say a few months later he ended up with a Compound Fracture of one arm ( made worse when he had to use it to push himself up off 285 to get out of the way of an 18 wheeler that was coming up quick ) after he ran into the back of a car doing 55 he was lucky to get off easy imo with the Break & a little Road Rash etc.

Just thinking I know of 3 diff, places around where I live where guy's have died Running from the State Patrol the worst was the one where the guy took his teenage GF with him.

I'm not down on riders as they usually only hurt themselves ; It's the Car/Truck drivers that cause Riders the most pain.
Long post I know.
GL & be Safe.
 
Your right, I do sometime feel amazed that I made it past all that I did in my 20's. 177mph on a street bike being one of them.. haha In my head then was once I hit a hundred anything higher doesn't matter the results are going to be the same. I'm getting married next year and once i have a child man there going to have a close eye on them lol
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom