Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hit a site today that has produced civil war buttons before and I turned up another beauty of a general service button but also found this other eagle about 6 or 7 feet from the button. Anyone seen this before? Looks stamped with a rivet threw the tail?
IMG_20151102_063302.jpg
ATT_1446515794574_CAM01540.jpg
CAM01541.jpg

CAM01558.jpg
CAM01559.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 8
HBO I MEAN SHOWTIME THATS A NICE BUTTON FIND AND LIKE THE EAGLE . NICE FINDS ...

That is one nice looking eagle, hope you find out what it attached to.

HBO I MEAN SHOWTIME THATS A NICE BUTTON FIND AND LIKE THE EAGLE . NICE FINDS ...

The name Showtime actually came from stunt riding street bikes, not being a couch potato lol
newrr 001.jpg

Solved

Screenshot_2015-11-02-21-23-04.png

Nice finds. Is there any backmark on the button? Would you please post a picture of the back? In case you can't tell from my questions I am a button freak! They are my favorite item to find.

Nice button, love the eagle how did you ever find the pin cushion picture? Also the rivet in the tail I still don't get it. Also the Eagle part must have served some utilitarian purpose also while sewing or whatever I wonder what it was do you have any more information?

Nice button

The button looks to be US Army General Service, Indian Wars, 1870s to 1900. Nice finds.

aj

Nice finds. Is there any backmark on the button? Would you please post a picture of the back? In case you can't tell from my questions I am a button freak! They are my favorite item to find.

Yes it has nice back marks and shank will try to post a pic soon

Nice button, love the eagle how did you ever find the pin cushion picture? Also the rivet in the tail I still don't get it. Also the Eagle part must have served some utilitarian purpose also while sewing or whatever I wonder what it was do you have any more information?

The eagle has a rivet in the tail because you could flex the front to hold material so you would have two hands free to sew a seam

The button looks to be US Army General Service, Indian Wars, 1870s to 1900. Nice finds.

aj

Here is what I have found online saying it is civil war
Bu1.jpg
The third button in the picture and far right is that of a general service button. This style button was adopted by the U.S. military in 1854. This button was used through 1875 by the U.S. military. This button is the most common civil war button to be found. Notice the different style eagle used. This looks more like an eagle than its counter part from the Indian war times. There are many variations of this button, but for the most part the basic design stays the same. If you find this button, your more than likely in a civil war site or earlier.
With all three buttons laid side by side you can see the different characteristics used by our Government with these military buttons. This is general information on these buttons and dates as well.

Here is what I have found online saying it is civil war
View attachment 1231358
The third button in the picture and far right is that of a general service button. This style button was adopted by the U.S. military in 1854. This button was used through 1875 by the U.S. military. This button is the most common civil war button to be found. Notice the different style eagle used. This looks more like an eagle than its counter part from the Indian war times. There are many variations of this button, but for the most part the basic design stays the same. If you find this button, your more than likely in a civil war site or earlier.
With all three buttons laid side by side you can see the different characteristics used by our Government with these military buttons. This is general information on these buttons and dates as well.

Thanks for the information. Is yours Albert's GS7A? That was the closest I could tell from the picture. Also, can you send me your online source? I would like to use it for further reference and research. I always love learning more and more about early American military buttons. Thanks!

aj

Thanks for the information. Is yours Albert's GS7A? That was the closest I could tell from the picture. Also, can you send me your online source? I would like to use it for further reference and research. I always love learning more and more about early American military buttons. Thanks!

aj

I believe the Albert's GS7A your referring to has a ring of stars around the eagle? Mine does not have that. If you would like a good book for learning about early American military buttons then check out "American military button makers and dealers; their backmarks & dates" by William F. McGuinn and Bruce S. Bazelon. As for the information That I posted with the pic of the three buttons, Here is the link - civil war relic hunting

I believe yours is the earlier version dating to 1854. It is GI94-A-3 in Albert's book. In case you aren't familiar with the abbreviations the rmdc means Raised Mark Depressed Channel and refers to the backmark. The RV1 means Relative Value with 1 being the most common. The higher the number the rarer the button.

Attachments

• GI94.bmp
    3.1 MB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Thanks for the info and pic fyrffytr1

Nice one! more to come out of there!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back