GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The weather here in Southwest Georgia is finally cooling off and a lot of the storm damage from Hurricane Michael has been cleaned up. (We got our butts kicked!) We still have thousands of trees to cut but power is back on in my area and the roads are clear. This morning, I decided to get out and hunt an old home site in a plowed field that I have hunted several times over the years. When I got there and turned on the machine, I walked about fifteen feet into the field and the first target of the day was a 1862 Indian Head in somewhat reasonable shape. Then about a half hour later, I got a good target and out popped this button. At first, I could not see much on it until I wiped a little more mud off the front. C.S.A.! The back is intact but I do not see anything written on it. This is number 7 Confederate button for me which isn't too bad since there were not any battles near me. Andersonville is 40 miles north of me and Columbus Georgia is 90 miles. I'm assuming that I am finding the buttons that were worn home after the war. It's a Keeper!

Attachments

• CSA Button (1).JPG
    CSA Button (1).JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 147
  • CSA Button (2).JPG
    CSA Button (2).JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 114
Upvote 44
Maybe someday I'll get one, too. Congrats on a very cool piece of American history!

What better then a CSA button? Congrats!

Awesome find, congratulations! :occasion14:

The weather here in Southwest Georgia is finally cooling off and a lot of the storm damage from Hurricane Michael has been cleaned up. (We got our butts kicked!) We still have thousands of trees to cut but power is back on in my area and the roads are clear. This morning, I decided to get out and hunt an old home site in a plowed field that I have hunted several times over the years. When I got there and turned on the machine, I walked about fifteen feet into the field and the first target of the day was a 1862 Indian Head in somewhat reasonable shape. Then about a half hour later, I got a good target and out popped this button. At first, I could not see much on it until I wiped a little more mud off the front. C.S.A.! The back is intact but I do not see anything written on it. This is number 7 Confederate button for me which isn't too bad since there were not any battles near me. Andersonville is 40 miles north of me and Columbus Georgia is 90 miles. I'm assuming that I am finding the buttons that were worn home after the war. It's a Keeper!

SWEEEEEET, CSA Local , Ill freak when I dig my first CSA.

A Big Congratulations.
# 7 Wow!
Davers

Killer button GaRebel!! Well done. :occasion14:

Here's what she cleaned up to look like.

Attachments

• IMG_0719.PNG
    IMG_0719.PNG
    240.3 KB · Views: 73
great find! I hunt areas near confederate and union battle fields in North Atlanta and don't have one of those. It would make my day, week, month.
but everyone needs to remember the soldiers returned home after the war with their uniforms. So over time buttons got lost at or close to home. Sherman even granted the requested permission from the Confederate generals to let all the cavalry soldiers keep their horses which they would likely need back on their small farms.

That is a great button , Congrats !!!!

My town is boring founded in 1826 no battles ect/ That is an amazing find I would love to hunt somewhere with that kind of history just knowing what you might find is a lot of the fun for me. Well done

wow! great find

Awesome CSA button. Congrats!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back