What's new

Another day another hammer.

quito

Silver Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2008
Messages
4,638
Reaction score
4,844
Golden Thread
0
Location
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Went back to the field I hit yesterday, 20 yards from the truck this nice segment is laying out.
3BF32838-8992-4262-B14D-27BD89B5D547.webp C0102001-523E-4C87-A45C-C0E3DB8E4228.webpLooks like an early piece. It was a nice start.

then, flipped this piece over and it turned out to be my second busted grooved maul in two days.
92C41F06-BB8F-4B4E-9672-C27B24C3489D.webp 850881B3-5911-4E0A-A1EA-BBD17379FF57.webp

Also found a nice point laying out nicely. I picked up a nice core blank a couple hammer stones also found a decent scraper and an egg stone Lol as well.

EFF14DE8-7E94-4760-8406-BC10AFBF650D.webp

07DBEE93-B606-4A2B-BE0D-E8E8F25B6738.webp 22C1D9DF-B2D9-42D1-B8B0-1CF6DA7EF75A.webp

8349903B-F302-4563-8D43-7A0EB159E28C.webp
 
Upvote 0
Neat! I am still waiting on my grooved tool. Also- finding a whole triangle point seems to be quite the challenge, I’ve found 5 or 6 in the past week or so, and only one has the tip on it.
 
You should start arguing in threads about high dollar pieces and see if it works.
 
Neat! I am still waiting on my grooved tool. Also- finding a whole triangle point seems to be quite the challenge, I’ve found 5 or 6 in the past week or so, and only one has the tip on it.

yeah those grooved pieces aren’t popping up every day.!

But Hey! At least you are finding something!! And a lot of them!
 
You found an egg right after all the back and forth about them in that thread. Maybe argue too strong a word.
 
You found an egg right after all the back and forth about them in that thread. Maybe argue too strong a word.

Just using the term a little loosely I was!!! I don’t know what they are!
 
Nice finds Joel. Thanks for posting. Us folks in Michigan don;t have the hunting grounds you folks do. Love looking at artifacts.
 
Nice artifacts Quito! Can you post a couple detail photos of the triangle and the groove-worked area?

What’s the lithic used on the triangle?

Thanks for posting these.

Also, what’s your flipping stick? A modified golf club?
 
Last edited:
Well you nailed the flipping stick! I just knocked the head off an old club and pinched the shaft closed. Works great!

i don’t know the lithic of the triangle. But the core blank is chert from the splitrock formation. Named for one of the creeks I am near.
here are a few more pics. The first hammer I found isn’t grooved as deep but the groove is wider.
77955B32-34AC-4264-A79D-C94F3562441A.webp image.webp
E5272D3C-6F24-4721-8404-B2AEB3E46743.webp image.webp
3DBCF3EA-7F12-4F29-9C4D-3CB28FFD07C5.webp
432D6EC3-3B6E-4EB5-95A6-3C877731BCA8.webp
 

Attachments

  • EFAFEABA-9159-4905-A441-DADC1A73007D.webp
    EFAFEABA-9159-4905-A441-DADC1A73007D.webp
    246.2 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Great finds--great grooved hammer
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom