What's new

Another DIV Mystery Find

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2011
Messages
2,523
Reaction score
1,396
Golden Thread
0
Location
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found this item at the March 2012 DIV hunt near Brandy Station. Any ideas?
 

Attachments

  • div_iron.webp
    div_iron.webp
    113.8 KB · Views: 155
Upvote 0
My first thought was a stirrup. Then I noticed the paper clip and figgered it wasn't big enough to a stirrup.

A large zipper pull?:tongue3:
 
Don't think so AZ. :laughing7:
 
That was my guess.......maybe a cargo hold-down cleat for a leather strap.
 
I'm going with Cudamark and guess a cargo tie down. Found one like that and it was missing the anchor. Pretty old though.:icon_scratch:
 
I'm going with Cudamark and guess a cargo tie down. Found one like that and it was missing the anchor. Pretty old though.:icon_scratch:

Thanks JR - where did you find yours?
 
Judging by how long the bolts are, it was probably in wood, That narrows it down. I think it was the part to a wagon.
 
im 13 years old
 
Judging by how long the bolts are, it was probably in wood, That narrows it down. I think it was the part to a wagon.

I think you could be right, Scottso!
 
Judging by how long the bolts are, it was probably in wood, That narrows it down. I think it was the part to a wagon.

My best guess too.
 
Creskol has weighed in and opined that he thinks it's "a check buckle off of a pack saddle" and he is "willing to bet that it is Civil War era or before. I am not sure that particular style was used post war, as its function was replaced by a more sophisticated cinch style buckle about that time."
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom