Another First! An 1857 Flying Eagle Cent!

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone. April and 2021 in general have been remarkably good to me, and in a previous post I commented on having a lot of "first finds" recently (KG2, Barber Half, a Spanish Real back in January).
The list of firsts has grown: today I found an 1857 Flying Eagle Cent, a coin I never expected to find! It's in rough shape, but I've included pictures at a mid-cleaning stage (yes, I cleaned it with Andre's Pencils only) and at that point the final digit of the year, "7", was clear (I realize that it looks like 1117 in the picture - I was only focused on trying to clean the last digit, for obvious reasons).
The final result isn't great; my son rightly pointed out that it looked better before I started cleaning it (when the dirt was in the shape of the eagle), but I couldn't resist trying to find the date - at the cost maybe of the appearance of the coin. Oh well, as I told him: I didn't ruin the coin, nature ruined the coin. I did what I could to save it.

I found the Flying Eagle and other coins at a house in town that I've wanted to detect for a long time. A friend who knows the owner and who detects called me midday to ask if I wanted to join him and I jumped at the chance - boy am I glad I did!
The first hole had three silvers: a 1953 Washington Quarter and two Mercs (1928 and 1929, both Philly mint). I included the picture of two coins on the plug because I thought I was done when I pulled those out, but being a good detectorist I checked the hole before moving on and discovered that I'd missed the second Merc.

Not far from the silver was a 1911 Liberty "V" Nickel, in reasonably good shape (since the only other V Nickel I've found was completely toasted). Once again I cleaned this coin and once again my son pointed out that the back was WAYYYY better before I cleaned it. Oh well - still got a date off of it!

The final item I'll mention is the broach with the "diamonds" pictured below. I'm pretty confident it's costume jewelry, because: the metal is not sterling/925 (it's plated at best; the plating is coming off the screw back), the stones are all surprisingly uniform, and I swear that with a jeweler's loop I see scratches on the stones (and even a chip in one). But it was fun to find for a moment...and I'll still get it checked out just in case.

My buddy found a coin spill (but all clad, including a 1965 quarter...off by one year!) and a heavy silver necklace charm or maybe an earring...he's cleaning it and hopefully will see 925 or "sterling" on it.

Thanks for looking, and I hope everyone else had a great weekend!

- Brian

nFaw7Oa.jpg RHMRlm4.jpg
valK30n.jpg

aVFFU6P.jpg i0u2AZz.jpg

JdkmwAK.jpg v3nXpnu.jpg

LfowQoD.jpg

Upvote 20

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your nice recovery

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some very nice finds Brian. Congrats on your first FEC. Those don't come to the surface that often. Well done!

erfranks

Mar 3, 2021
Cape Coral, Fl
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC-2B
Minelab Equinox 800
White TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice saves!!!!

HunterMF

Feb 17, 2016