Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2007
Burien, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Grey Ghost Headphones, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Howdy all,
Spent a couple hours in the water today and had a great time. The weather yesterday was awesome and the beaches were packed. Today started out overcast and chilly so I had the place all to myself. For as many people who were in the water yesterday you would think there would be more targets. I was gettin lots of clad but nothin spectacular for about the first 45 minutes or so. Then bam I get this nice 14k white gold band. It weighs in at 3.2 grams. As soon as I see it in my scoop 2 kids decide to see what I got. I real slick like slip it on my finger and tell em it musta been a fishin weight that slipped through the scoop. Too many times I have had people try to hustle me outta my finds. So spillin a little B.S. is always better than braggin. Now for the exciting part. One of the things you never want to see in your scoop is a live 50 cal round. I couldn't help but think I was just kicking a steel scoop at this thing right next to my feet. Well since I had no way to dispose of it, we called the cops. I figured they could come get it so I wouldn't have to drive it across town to them. They showed up about 30 minutes later thinkin we didn't know what we had. When I handed it over the lady cop acted like it was gonna blow her up. I kinda snickered. I know it was safe unless its misshandled or your kickin a metal scoop at it. ::) Anyway I told her I gridded the area and didn't find anymore, but she was not assured. She said marine patrol would be notified and a diver might be sent to the area to look for more. We sent pics to my brother and he said it looked like military ammo to him. The lake is right next to one of the Fort Lewis gunnery ranges, and you hear em shootin 50's all the time. So I had a great day with a little gold and a little excitement. Thanks for lookin, and luck in the hunt.
:icon_pirat:
JuJu

Attachments

• DSCN0362.JPG
    DSCN0362.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 1,157
  • RSCN0364.JPG
    RSCN0364.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 1,169
  • DSCN0359.JPG
    DSCN0359.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 1,166
  • DSCN0360.JPG
    DSCN0360.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 1,157
  • RSCN0365.JPG
    RSCN0365.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 1,156
  • RSCN0365.JPG
    RSCN0365.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 1,167
  • DSCN0360.JPG
    DSCN0360.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 1,167
  • DSCN0359.JPG
    DSCN0359.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 1,174
  • RSCN0364.JPG
    RSCN0364.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 1,175
  • DSCN0362.JPG
    DSCN0362.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 1,170
Upvote 0
Nice job on the gold an the 50 cal. I have half of a five gallon bucket full of 50 Cal's.all from 1943.(WW2) I have found off of the South Gulf coast of Florida.But i have not found any live ones (yet) :tongue3:

COTTON said:
Nice job on the gold an the 50 cal. I have half of a five gallon bucket full of 50 Cal's.all from 1943.(WW2) I have found off of the South Gulf coast of Florida.But i have not found any live ones (yet) :tongue3:
I don't mind diggin bullets, but I would prefer not to dig any more live ones of this caliber. ;D
JuJu

Congrats - Nice ring!

With ordnance, you also want to be careful of extream temp changes.

I have dug over 20 live rounds over the years, one of the reasons I try to dig beside the signal.
I've never heard of anyone setting off a live round but I don't want to be the first either.

nice ring.

Hey ju , great story,really nice ring ,,,you have been on a roll lately huh!! just reminded me of a round I dug a few years back,,,

look at this whopper!!!!!,,,30mm,,,,!!! :headbang: thanks for the post,,,

arthur

Attachments

• P1000164 [640x480].JPG
    P1000164 [640x480].JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 849
  • P1000163 [800x600].JPG
    P1000163 [800x600].JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 844
  • P1000163 [800x600].JPG
    P1000163 [800x600].JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 832
  • P1000164 [640x480].JPG
    P1000164 [640x480].JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 841
artzstuff1 said:
Hey ju , great story,really nice ring ,,,you have been on a roll lately huh!! just reminded me of a round I dug a few years back,,,

look at this whopper!!!!!,,,30mm,,,,!!! :headbang: thanks for the post,,,

arthur
Thats massive. If I had a place to keep that .50, I probably would have kept it. But because we live in an RV, I have to be selective about what I bring home. Already hard to find places to keep things.
JuJu

bet that made you a little nervous after you saw what it was and that you could have nailed the primer diggin it out would have made for a bad day! great job and nice ring.
maybe you'll find the gun that goes with it!

You called it when you mentioned a training range near by. Your round is an almost new (only four years since it was manufactured) 2005 50BMG standard ball cartridge produced a the Lake City Ammunition facility in Independence Missouri.
A soldier probably either tossed it....or it fell out of a vehicle near by.
I have the Browning M2HB weapons and fire approximately 1000-1500 rounds a year. I end up paying $2.75-3.50 per round. Since this military spec cartridge was manufactured with both projectile and primer sealant....I wouldn't have hesitated to link up your round up and fire it. We have found WWII ammo on the plains of eastern Colorado...cleaned it up...and fired most of it. Some did not fire.
If you find another one....or a full case....email me next time and I'll send you some battery money. Calling Civil Law Enforcement personnel almost always turns into a Shriner Circus. They are good at what they are usually trained for.... but they usually have no training in this area....and tend to over react.
I wish I could find more ammo. ;D
adios
TiredIron

Man !! What kind of Detecting rig you got there JuJu ?? Hand resting on gray duct tape. Some kind of shoulder harness rig?
index.php

Nice find on the 50cal.

Nice job on the white gold band!. You are so right on not showing people what you find, especially water hunting. Can't tell you how many times my friend and I have had someone try to scam us. We try to conceal any thing we find. Once found a band, guy said it was his. Good thing there was a date inside....guy couldn't remember when his wedding was!

Jaw Jah Danny said:
Man !! What kind of Detecting rig you got there JuJu ?? Hand resting on gray duct tape. Some kind of shoulder harness rig?
Nice find on the 50cal.
Thats the handle of my scoop. Under the duct tape is foam to keep the handle vertical in the water. When I first got it I had a heck of a time trying to use the curved handle. But now I prefer it over the straight ones.
JuJu

WOW on the ring and double WOW on the 50 cal! I don't know anything about bullets etc but i never thought it could go off by getting hit by the scoop. You better be careful at that place! WTG on the ring!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back