Another Hunt at The Colonial Site Yields 2nd Old Flat Button & Other Stuff......

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I went back to my colonial/early post colonial site and pounded it hard for about four hours.

Unfortunately, no more old coppers showed up but not long into the hunt I found a 2nd old gilted flat button that amazingly, still has most of the gold plating on the inside:

Second Gilt  Button From Colonial Site & Other Stuff 001.JPG

And the front:

Second Gilt  Button From Colonial Site & Other Stuff 002.JPG

I'm always amazed how things seem to come in waves with this hobby. It's almost uncanny sometimes; like something "out there" is guiding me.

Unlike my first flat button, the loop is still intact on this one. There's also some lettering on there. I can make out the word "gilt" but I haven't figured out the rest at this point. I'm too damn tired to mess with it right now but I'm real happy with it.

I dug at least 50 pieces of iron; about 1/2 of which were nails; the rest just miscellaneous hunks of metal of different shapes and sizes. I'm trying to clean the site as I go in the hopes that more coins will reveal themselves.

Along the way I found an old timey looking piece of costume jewelry in two pieces. Luckily, the blue "stone" and it's setting are both still intact. There was also a small buckle (I think ) , also in two pieces but it looks like I found all of it. I thought it was silver at first.

Second Gilt  Button From Colonial Site & Other Stuff 004.JPG

Then I dug a very thin, ornate metallic object but I have no clue what it actually is:

Second Gilt  Button From Colonial Site & Other Stuff 003.JPG

Then another button turned up that says "Foxmoor". I have no clue if it's old or a modern drop. I'm thinkin' modern:

Second Gilt  Button From Colonial Site & Other Stuff 005.JPG

I also dug a few other items, including a tiny lead shoe identical to one I dug in the spring about a half mile from where I found this one. I couldn't believe it. Then there were a few old shell caps, a small metal whatsit and some clad (not shown).

Second Gilt  Button From Colonial Site & Other Stuff 006.JPG

That's about it. No old or rare coins turned up but overall, I enjoyed myself and I added another old flat button with genuine ultra thin gold gilt to the collection. The way I see it, it takes a truly talented artist to lay such a thin coating of gold on something so it's a real treasure.

It was a beautiful day out there too.

Thanks for looking & HH

Last edited:
Upvote 4
No e finds, you did well.

Congrats on finding those sweet targets. :occasion14: Costume jewelry or not, I like that stone. :thumbsup:

Congrats on finding those sweet targets. :occasion14: Costume jewelry or not, I like that stone. :thumbsup:

I think it's pretty cool too.

I'm thinkin' it's probably pretty old. Upon closer inspection I found one tiny spot on the setting that still has some gold plating. I'm assuming the whole thing was once plated and that it probably took a pretty long time for all of it to wear off.

OTOH, the button is probably much older yet still has most of it's inside gilt.

You just never know with this hobby. There's always a new surprise.

The Foxmoor thing is a hem weight. Looks like you found some nice later 19th C items there :thumbsup: Lots of gilt left on that button....try aluminum jelly to clean it up well.

Some very cool old stuff, like the costume jewelry..

Some very cool old stuff, like the costume jewelry..

Yeah me too but I like the real stuff way better.

I just found my first old button with gold still on it was hoping you could help me out with the age?image1 (1).JPGimage1 (2).JPG

shank is broken..in cornfield is where this was found..

I just found my first old button with gold still on it was hoping you could help me out with the age?View attachment 1318925View attachment 1318926

shank is broken..in cornfield is where this was found..

There's a guy on here who knows everything about those old flat buttons but the name escapes me at the moment. This is a pretty old thread so I need to look through my old posts and find the info for you.

Nice old flat button btw. I'm no expert but it's probably early 1800's. Check back later and I'll post a link to the guy who really knows.

I think you had a very productive hunt, some interesting items! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back