Dougie Webb

Jun 14, 2019
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I posted this yesterday in the rocks/gems forum but crickets so far - thought I'd see if y'all can come up with something...

Came across this in the woods near my house in Stone Mountain. Nothing remarkable about the location, but have never seen anything like it here. It's very dense/heavy, even a little more so than what I would expect from iron. It attracts a magnet, but not particularly strongly given its size.

Since my detector identified it primarily as iron, and it leaves a brownish streak, my assumption is hematite. But I can't seem to find any images of hematite that look like this. It has inclusions (not sure if this is the right use of that word) of what are obviously other types of rocks. I've put a close up of some of those.

When I discriminate out iron on my detector, I readily get numbers that are associated with nickels and aluminum.

The color below is a little lighter than the actual, as I did some editing to bring out the details.

Thanks in advance!

h1.jpg

h2.jpg

Close-up of one of the "inclusions" - it's significantly lighter than the rest of the rock, just didn't come across well here.

h3.jpg

More detail...

h4.jpg

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
beat it with a hammer to see if it is truly stone . maybe just encrusted bit of iron.
as far as the # read out on the machine , that is seldom accurate , hunt by tones not numbers and you will dig more treasure.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dougie Webb

Dougie Webb

Jun 14, 2019
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
beat it with a hammer to see if it is truly stone . maybe just encrusted bit of iron.
as far as the # read out on the machine , that is seldom accurate , hunt by tones not numbers and you will dig more treasure.

Good idea - may well just be a bunch of junk. When you say "hunt by tone" do you mean listen to the strength of the tone/signal?

Upvote 0

GoldieLocks

Bronze Member
Dec 28, 2019
Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could it be that dino poop shape replaced where nature fills the shap in over millions of years?

Upvote 0

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good idea - may well just be a bunch of junk. When you say "hunt by tone" do you mean listen to the strength of the tone/signal?

I dig all clear repeatable solid tones , make an x over the target with your coil , if it sounds the same solid ,not broken tones both ways I dig.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dougie Webb

Dougie Webb

Jun 14, 2019
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dig all clear repeatable solid tones , make an x over the target with your coil , if it sounds the same solid ,not broken tones both ways I dig.

Thanks for the tip! I think I need to do some research on detecting techniques...I've just been kinda shooting in the dark so far.

Upvote 0

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
put your machine model in the search bar on youtube ,there's bound to be someone with tips for best use.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dougie Webb

Dougie Webb

Jun 14, 2019
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

TIC, you nailed it. Knocked the sh*t out of it with the BFH and then put the result in the tumbler for a couple of hours and this was the result. Still don't know what it is, but it's clearly something manmade.

asdfgasdfg.jpg

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Could be a tack-hammer or a toy hammer. Or even a glazer's hammer (used to put little metal triangles in wood frames to hold glass in place before the putty was applied).

Simpler times in the 1880's

vintage-miniature-ball-peen-hammer_1_9926fad6a82fc24b4d60c175d34f4a92.jpg

Upvote 0

metaldiggr

Feb 13, 2015
South Central Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a small pot-metal hammer a few weeks ago in a 1760 house yard. It was some kind of candy breaking tool from the 40's.

Attachments

• 22417e93da90140223091604183ca497.jpg
    22417e93da90140223091604183ca497.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 19
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dougie Webb

Dougie Webb

Jun 14, 2019
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found a small pot-metal hammer a few weeks ago in a 1760 house yard. It was some kind of candy breaking tool from the 40's.

That's a great find! This hunk of metal I have sure fits that profile...I mean, the hole through it is too symmetrical not to have been an implement/tool of some kind...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dougie Webb

Dougie Webb

Jun 14, 2019
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anyone wanna take a stab at its age? With all that "rock" around it, and its primitive appearance...one would think early 1900's??? There were definitely houses on this property as earlier as that...if not before.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread