another "is this anything?" post.

Crendel

Aug 30, 2018
western ny
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
how do everyone! just starting to get back out after a long winter and was scouting out a shallow water site for metal detecting later in the season and came across some interesting stones. i wont post all of them right now but this was one of the more interesting ones. im in western ny, right near the niagara river, and this was found at the bottom of a natural embankment about 15-20 yards from the water. this looks to me like a stone that may have been worked a bit but i could also believe that it could be due to natural fragmentation and/or weathering. if anyone in the know has any opinions on this i would be happy to hear them- im just getting into this so knowing what to look for/ not to look for will be super helpful as i get going and will be much appreciated. cheers!
IMG_20210425_112340631_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210425_112329129_HDR.jpg IMG_20210425_112235639.jpg
IMG_20210425_142815311.jpg
IMG_20210425_144844913.jpg
IMG_20210425_142815311.jpg

Upvote 0

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
another "is this anything?" post.

I’d say worked but I’m not sure of heads or tails, maybe just a quick and dirty cutter/scraper

OP
OP
C

Crendel

Aug 30, 2018
western ny
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool! Thanks much for the feedback! I'll post another question mark from the same location later. It definitely helps to have confirmation that I'm looking in the right spot- probably will spend a bit more time there next weekend and give it a more thorough looksee. Being near a large waterway like this we've had an indigenous presence here for thousands of years right up to the present. any guesses as to what the age would be or is it too difficult to tell with something like this? (ive spent hours googling different images but as a newbie its tough to discern subtle differences.) thanks again!

OP
OP
C

Crendel

Aug 30, 2018
western ny
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More than likely Hopewell era.

its interesting you say that. i had just stumbled across a brief newsblurb mentioning a dig done by one of the local universities on the other side of the river about 10 years ago and that is pretty much the time period they attributed to some of the stones they found. thanks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread