Another Mystery Roman

nkellam22

Feb 9, 2019
Western Europe
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got lucky again and found another Roman bronze coin in my favorite field in western mainland Europe.
It measures around 23-24mm in diameter.
The small bit of lettering on the obverse reads NVSP(possibly an E after that)
The small bit of lettering on the reverse reads (possibly AH)AT
The style of the coin leads me to believe it's from the 4th century AD but I have no clue who the emperor might be.:icon_scratch:
Any help is appreciated.

IMG_7045.jpeg IMG_7046.jpeg
IMG_6999.jpeg IMG_7035.jpeg
IMG_7036.jpeg IMG_7038.jpeg
IMG_7038.jpeg

Btw, some of the photos are oddly sideways but if you open them the problem is fixed and the image is much easier to see.
Thanks!:hello2:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cru'dad thoughts:

''I believe this is a head style of CONSTANTIUS II and I reckon obverse text is [DN CONSTAN-]TIVS PF AVG (showing)
The Reverse seems to be one of the early Centenionalis size [FEL TEMP - RE]PARATIO (showing) types circa 348-352

This commonly covers Soldier Spearing Horseman, Emperor dragging Captive from Hut, Emperor on Galley steered by Victory etc.''

Upvote 0

bradyboy

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2007
Clearwater, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
how the heck do you guys figure out what the coin is, considering the wear / damage?
I'm speaking in general
I've seen some wild identifications on coins with major wear / damage that were spot on
it never ceases to amaze me regarding the talent, expertise, and experience on this site
this site is a hidden gem for most
I think most of us here take it for granted, but most folks out there don't have a clue
JUST SAYING
Bradyboy

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
how the heck do you guys figure out what the coin is, considering the wear / damage?
I'm speaking in general
I've seen some wild identifications on coins with major wear / damage that were spot on
it never ceases to amaze me regarding the talent, expertise, and experience on this site
this site is a hidden gem for most
I think most of us here take it for granted, but most folks out there don't have a clue
JUST SAYING
Bradyboy
It comes from finding about 14,000 (I forget but Cru'dad has the exact figure) Roman Bronze Coins, many in bad condition. But Cru'dad still records them to the British Museum Standard & the ones we record on the PAS he is the first identifier & the British Museum expert is the second. Between them they agree any discrepancies. So it is years of study & about £2500-£3000 of books I've brought him.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
nkellam22

nkellam22

Feb 9, 2019
Western Europe
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cru'dad thoughts:

''I believe this is a head style of CONSTANTIUS II and I reckon obverse text is [DN CONSTAN-]TIVS PF AVG (showing)
The Reverse seems to be one of the early Centenionalis size [FEL TEMP - RE]PARATIO (showing) types circa 348-352

This commonly covers Soldier Spearing Horseman, Emperor dragging Captive from Hut, Emperor on Galley steered by Victory etc.''

Thanks a bunch, Cru'dad
Your knowledge never fails to impress me

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread