Another newb question about cold weather hunting

wildheart

Jan 1, 2009
Bucks County, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Hi, Y'all -

I just joined TreasureNet today, wanting to start out the New Year right by getting serious about the Ace 250 I got for Christmas. (I got an Ace 100 a few years ago, and don't really even know how to use it properly, so this is my year for practice.)

Of course, it's winter now and I'm wondering if I can actually DO any detecting here in southeast PA (along the Delaware River between Philly and Allentown) until the weather warms back up. I went out in mid-November and the ground was already hard as a rock, and I couldn't see digging responsible plugs with a pickax.

Would appreciate any advice from those who know.

Thanks!

Mary in PA

Upvote 0
Welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:

You can get out to detect anytime the weather is not to cold for you to be comfortable. Note that batteries may not act well when extra cold, nor the screen on the detector. But you can check snow banks and sleding hills for things left in the snow.

Good Luck and go at it,
Sandman

I have an ace 250 and hunt in the winter all the time........... when there's not snow on the ground. I haven't tried that yet ::)

well sounds like your in a great area, and the ace 250 is a nice step from the 100 , our ground isn't froze bad but the cold and snow are killers, we have had 2 days in the low 30's over the last 2 months, generally its been in the teens for highs. wish you the best of luck and welcome to tnet

Hey, thanks for all the replies! I guess my question really is: What KIND of detecting can I do in winter? Is there a secret for digging responsibly in frozen ground, or are we pretty much limited to surface shooting? Thanks again.

I like to go to spots with sandy, loose soil in the winter. The grassy areas are pretty hard digging here this time of year but volley ball courts and swimming beaches are easy digging and you have places like those all to yourself this time of year. HH Charlie

It's my first year, but I've some good teachers. I stay away from turf areas in the winter. I've been hunting in the woods mainly. We've got some good areas where there was activity a long time ago. Fallen leaves tend to insulate some of the ground from freezing for a while, and you don't have to be as neat as you do in the grass. I just learned how valuable a small shovel is when the ground is frozen.

In the woods, be sure to always hunt with a buddy. :wink:

Sandman is right, sled hills are good. If you have tot lots, you can check them out on warm days when the bark isn't frozen down.
HH

Hi Penny,

I too am new to this coin thing but detected for nuggets out west for many years. Here in MI the ground is frozen solid and detecting will have to wait until thaw. When you do go 'tecktin', Be carful out there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back