What's new

Another nice one!

Pancake

Full Member
Joined
Nov 27, 2012
Messages
194
Reaction score
158
Golden Thread
0
Location
Mass.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found another nice one in the same area I found a few other great blades over the past month. This is not a material I have ever seen around here.
IMG_4226.webp
 
Upvote 0
That is a nice one. What color is it?
 
The picture doesn't show it but it is a very dark red.
 
I saw some red in it and that is why I asked. I would say Jasper if it is slick if it is a grainy feel it might be Hematite.
 
Killer for sure man...
 
That is wild looking material. I am thinking the picture does not do it justice. Nice one.
 
very nice congrats HH
 
Here are a couple with a flash that look a bit better.

IMG_4304.webp
IMG_4306.webp
 
As Bravo says "Schweet". haha Killer find Pancake.
 
:icon_thumleft: Very Nice Point! The material kind of looks like a type of Basalt.
 
Much better pic. So is it grainy or smooth?
 
Slightly grainy.
 
Beautiful point! The material is red felsite. Felsite is a volcanic rock, similar to rhyolite. For comparison, here's the same material from RI, maybe a slightly different shade. Felsite comes in many colors, and was a common and widely used lithic in southern New England.
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    120 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Thanks Charl. That is certainly the same material. I really need to learn more about geology. Especially as it relates to Indian artifacts. I found this one after work today and although it is a different material it has some beautiful red bands running through it.
IMG_4318.webp
 
Another nice one. I really like that color, red just doesnt come around my area too often.
 
That's a nice point too. I don't think I've seen an exact material match in RI, but it would not surprise me if that were another of the many varieties of felsite quarried in Ma.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom