What's new

Another old ship cruise line spoon

Lord Verdigris

Silver Member
Joined
Feb 8, 2014
Messages
3,936
Reaction score
9,273
Golden Thread
2
Location
East coast Canada
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was down on a old property near the shoreline and dug another old ship spoon. I don't think this is as old as my white star ss atlantic spoon and not near the same area but it could still be a good find anyway. It is plated but held up in amazing shape for being in the ground. This time it is a CUNARD line spoon. I cant make out the writing under Cunard to say what ship its from but someone may know that and the makers marks on the back. I think its Elkington. The date letter is a B also i believe. Thanks for looking! [emoji2]
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1444242920.665481.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1444242933.738833.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1444242944.665542.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1444242956.248655.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1444242973.480011.webp
 
Upvote 25
I tried to compare the name on your spoon to the list of Curand ship names, but could not. I'm including the link so that you can check yourself as you can probably see the letters on the spoon better than I can. Good luck and let us know if you figure out what ship it came from!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cunard_Line
 
I tried to compare the name on your spoon to the list of Curand ship names, but could not. I'm including the link so that you can check yourself as you can probably see the letters on the spoon better than I can. Good luck and let us know if you figure out what ship it came from!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cunard_Line

Thanks for trying. Im having trouble also. The pictures are as clear as in person of the letters.
 
Nice find! Looks to me like the script letters SPC. It's hard to tell from your pics whether there is a letter after the C.
 
Last edited:
Heres another picture. I don't know if its any better to help though.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1444251568.899150.webp
 
Cool find.
Seems someone in your area was a traveler, and a thief, but all good for your collection.
Also lucky that it's not damaged / bent, as most seem to be.
 
that's awesome
 
Heres another picture. I don't know if its any better to help though.
View attachment 1220285

Might need your wife to get a macro picture outside in the daylight. Do you have a 10X jeweler's loupe? Is there a letter after the C? I'm pretty sure the first three letters are SPC. The C might stand for Class.
 
Might need your wife to get a macro picture outside in the daylight. Do you have a 10X jeweler's loupe? Is there a letter after the C? I'm pretty sure the first three letters are SPC. The C might stand for Class.

It looks like maybe a M after the C?
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1444264965.081966.webp
I will try to get some close pic for you from a different camera. Strange spoon thats for sure. The whole design looks to be a older type i think.
 
Cool find.
Seems someone in your area was a traveler, and a thief, but all good for your collection.
Also lucky that it's not damaged / bent, as most seem to be.

Im betting thief knowing my type of area back in the day. Haha
I am surprised how well it came out. Must have been well made or the conditions were just right i guess or both! [emoji2]
 
Very cool find and should be easy to date. The lettering under Cunard is more likely the ships ID. Here's the link to the silver-plate ID.
Silverplate Marks Menu - Online Encyclopedia of Silver Marks, Hallmarks & Makers' Marks

Thats what i was hoping is under the Cunard would id the ship. On the back i believe its manufacturer is Elkington. Its says the crown symbol was only used with the Elkington initials till 1897 so has to pre date that. The big B way down i think is the manufacture year mark but the number 7 in a triangle is strange. Numbers were used early years and letters later years.
 
1979 AWESOME SPOON FIND . DANG SWEET ..
 
Im starting to think it may be older than i first thought. The makers mark pretty much matches the 1842-1864 timeframe and the number 7 stamp should put it at 1847. Any thoughts?
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1444276364.617058.webp
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1444276377.851298.webp
 
Can you post higher-res pics of the legend and hallmarks--they are all too small to see on my screen :icon_scratch: I'll bet you are right on the date....now let's get that last letter nailed down under the CUNARD. It's still impossible to read on my screen and seems to be too narrow to be an M. What was the date on your other spoon again?
 
SPC=Steam Packet Company??

That last letter might be a small o with two fancy lines over it to indicate lower case as in SPCo

In 1867 responsibility for mail contracts was transferred back to the Post Office and opened for bid. Cunard, Inman and the German Norddeutscher Lloyd were each awarded one of the three weekly New York mail services. The fortnightly route to Halifax formerly held by Cunard went to Inman.

...

To raise additional capital, in 1879 the privately held British and North American Royal Mail Steam Packet Company was reorganised as a public stock corporation, the Cunard Steamship Company, Ltd.[SUP][2][/SUP] Under Cunard's new chairman, John Burns (1839–1900), son of one of the firm's original founders
 
Last edited:
SPC=Steam Packet Company??

That last letter might be a small o with two fancy lines over it to indicate lower case as in SPCo

In 1867 responsibility for mail contracts was transferred back to the Post Office and opened for bid. Cunard, Inman and the German Norddeutscher Lloyd were each awarded one of the three weekly New York mail services. The fortnightly route to Halifax formerly held by Cunard went to Inman.

...

To raise additional capital, in 1879 the privately held British and North American Royal Mail Steam Packet Company was reorganised as a public stock corporation, the Cunard Steamship Company, Ltd.[SUP][2][/SUP] Under Cunard's new chairman, John Burns (1839–1900), son of one of the firm's original founders

Great research. Hope your right! [emoji2]
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom