What's new

Another Pentagonal

wells

Hero Member
Joined
Mar 1, 2008
Messages
683
Reaction score
561
Golden Thread
0
Location
Middleburg, Pa.
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is my largest pentagonal point at just over 2 inches, kind of large for an arrow point maybe ?
 

Attachments

  • wells farm pent..webp
    wells farm pent..webp
    29.4 KB · Views: 105
Upvote 0
I guess it does seem a bit big for an arrowhead. And it was obviously bigger at one time.
 
Nice find,:icon_thumleft: I have one about that size, but it has a flute in the base.
 
Probably a Knife form anyway so it's a good size for that.

I have this one from southern Ohio that is similar to yours and I'm sure it was utilized as a Knife.
 

Attachments

  • Pics-369.webp
    Pics-369.webp
    33.8 KB · Views: 91
Is it a Jack Reef Wells ? I have a couple pents but they are small.
 
Is it a Jack Reef Wells ? I have a couple pents but they are small.
The small one i posted yesterday i'd call jacks reef , the larger one could be something else that took on that shape from resharpening ?
 
A Fox Creek Lanceolate will look like that in its' resharpened form, and it does look resharpened. BTW, a Jack's Reef Pentagonal has been interpreted as a stage in the creation of a Jack's Reef Corner Notch. Not in every instance, but in general they only need to be notched to create the corner notched form. Steve's example from Ohio is one of the typical forms for Jack's Reef Pentagonal.

http://collections.nysm.nysed.gov/projectilepoints/types/jacks_reef_pentagonal.html

http://collections.nysm.nysed.gov/projectilepoints/types/jacks_reef_pentagonal-plate.html

Here's a resharpened Fox Creek Lanceolate, in this case resharpened to exhaustion. Material(quartzite) eliminated JR Pentagonal in this case. The preferred material here was jasper from Pa or RI, and hornfels, a metavolcanic that flakes well. Never quartzite.
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    232.5 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
What am I missing here? It's no bigger than the others.

Much bigger than the arrowheads a little further to the right and up a bit........ Now those are arrowheads all day long, imho.
 
In the Northeastern states, the Jack's Reef points are usually interpreted as the first true arrowheads, meaning small enough for use with bow and arrow technology. It's a truism, meaning it won't always be the case, but very often is, that large points were usually used as knives rather then projectiles. Just a rule of thumb for some, and usage wear can confirm or dispute it.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom