Another question on penny rolls

Andrew123

Feb 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, just wondering, but if you go to ebay and buy an "unsearched" roll of wheats, you find they are actually "searched." ??? I bought 3 rolls of "unsearched" wheat penny rolls for $30 to find 130 1940-1950's, 5 1919, 5 1920's-1930's, and 10 BU 1958 D+P pennies. I thought what the heck?! Is there any real "unsearched" ones out there? I find more in a bank box that costs me nothing compared to buying common date wheat pennies for 20 cents a piece! Just asking if it is worth it to buy wheat rolls when you can find them for face value.

Upvote 0
i think you answered your own question. :BangHead:

Yepper, they may have not searched them, but someone else probably did before them.
HH
enamel7

Just ask yourself if you would sell rolls that you knew to be unsearched for $10?

If your going to buy coins just buy the ones you need. Then do the free thing.. :sign13:

...there's one born every minute......

Live and Learn, Live and Learn

It could've been worse. The guy could've given you all 40-50's common wheats. Hopefully, you didn't pay too much for it.

If it's just a couple rolls that they seller claims is unsearched, you'd have to question why didn't they search them for the good dates? If it's a giant dealer lot, it may be more understandable but you're not buying a dealer lot.

Better to get any coin for face value.

I agree with
b said:
Just ask yourself if you would sell rolls that you knew to be unsearched for $10?
and I'd be a tad frosted if I'd paid $10/roll for those results. HOWEVER, if I understand the the
Andrew123 said:
... I find more in a bank box that costs me nothing compared to buying common date wheat pennies for 20 cents a piece!
and you're talking about a $25 bank box of pennies, I'd say you've got a great area to be buying pennies where you can get more than 130 wheats per box. Or, I live in a bummer of a penny area as I'm lucky to find 20 wheats per box. If you do find 130 or more, forget ebay and sort as many boxes as you can. I'd say you stand a great chance of finding some worthwhile wheats.

Also, a thought on your question about any actual unsearched rolls...probably not. If someone has spent the time, or figured out how mechanically, to separate the wheat from the chaff it seems to me for the slight additional time to eyeball ONLY wheats would be well worth it. From that point one's moral values kick in as to selling the remains as "unsearched."

BCD11 said:
I agree with
b said:
and I'd be a tad frosted if I'd paid $10/roll for those results. HOWEVER, if I understand the the
Andrew123 said:
... I find more in a bank box that costs me nothing compared to buying common date wheat pennies for 20 cents a piece!
and you're talking about a $25 bank box of pennies, I'd say you've got a great area to be buying pennies where you can get more than 130 wheats per box. Or, I live in a bummer of a penny area as I'm lucky to find 20 wheats per box. If you do find 130 or more, forget ebay and sort as many boxes as you can. I'd say you stand a great chance of finding some worthwhile wheats.

Also, a thought on your question about any actual unsearched rolls...probably not. If someone has spent the time, or figured out how mechanically, to separate the wheat from the chaff it seems to me for the slight additional time to eyeball ONLY wheats would be well worth it. From that point one's moral values kick in as to selling the remains as "unsearched."

The unfortunate part is that most of what's listed on Feebay for wheat cents rolls is that they are listed as "unsearched". Must be a competition thing, if most seller are listing them as unsearched, one might as well do it too. Just a guess. All my wheats sit in a jar and most are from the 40-50's.

What I meant was that going through 10 boxes so far yielded me 224 wheats (mostly 40-50's, but got 3 1910's, 8 1920's, and 11 1930's). Copper pennies was about 42 pounds and not including 1982's. 1982's were about 5 pounds. I think that is a lot better than buying "unsearched" wheat rolls that are re-rolled by a dishonest seller (some of them though are not that bad).

Andrew123 said:
What I meant was that going through 10 boxes so far yielded me 224 wheats (mostly 40-50's, but got 3 1910's, 8 1920's, and 11 1930's). Copper pennies was about 42 pounds and not including 1982's. 1982's were about 5 pounds. I think that is a lot better than buying "unsearched" wheat rolls that are re-rolled by a dishonest seller (some of them though are not that bad).

I think you answered your own question there of what's more worth it.. buying unsearched rolls or CRHing for wheats.

A few times I looked through some of the eBay ads claiming unsearched rolls of wheats. If they are really unsearched, how does the seller even know they are all wheats? And many, many rolls are listed with a silver dime as an ender. All fake, as far as I'm concerned.

The concept of a unsearched roll doesn't make sense to me. Even if I bought a large lot of wheat pennies it would be worth my while to check for key and semi key dates and seperate them out.

The term "unsearched" when used on ebay, means a scam!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back