What's new

Another Salt Water Point!!

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2019
Messages
1,636
Reaction score
2,982
Golden Thread
0
Location
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
I thought I’d take advantage of the low tide today and took the hunt to a stretch of rocky beach in Plymouth Harbor. It has the right native lithics present and it is in a good historical NA region. I’ve found a few points further upland on dry land, so I had suspected that artifacts could be found in the water. But, I have seen northeast storms beat the hell out of those rocks. That has kept me from giving it a serious look.

Last week (on a whim) I investigated an area of that beach about a few hundred yards away and found my first salt water arrowhead (which I posted). That was enough to inspire a deliberate planned hunt. So I took another walk today.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1557013190.879022.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1557013904.003636.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1557013915.099637.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1557013925.154185.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1557013939.147234.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1557013951.436052.webp

This is a large Archaic Quartz Lanceolate Blade most likely a variety of the Squibnocket Complex. It’s thick and battered, but I’m excited about finding this one.

Here’s the Clean Up:

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1557015496.525804.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1557015508.246581.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1557015519.619522.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1557015530.931327.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1557015416.392751.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1557015577.354608.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1557064631.057369.webp
 

Attachments

  • ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1557015425.761375.webp
    ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1557015425.761375.webp
    37.7 KB · Views: 85
  • ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1557015439.388576.webp
    ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1557015439.388576.webp
    24.9 KB · Views: 84
  • ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1557015695.797467.webp
    ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1557015695.797467.webp
    240.8 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nice find , looks a cool place to hunt but I’m sure difficult to scan all those rocks
 
Nice find , looks a cool place to hunt but I’m sure difficult to scan all those rocks

Thanks Arrow86,

It’s brutal. But, I don’t mind, as long as the hunting is successful. Every piece tells a part of the story, right?
 
Great find.
HH
dts
 
Love the seaweed growing on the quartz.

I have never hunted an ocean beach but feel inspired.

Your beach looks full of potential.

Curious about the ratio of finds that are partially buried verses lodged between rocks?
 
I only hunt on a saltwater beach. Sometimes artifacts will have a barnacles on them:)

DSCN6633.webp
 
Mr. Scepter that is a terrific Triangle Point. Very visible beveled sides. A great day to only find one of this quality. Please post more of your finds. Excellent example of salt water hunting. Best I've seen.
 
Last edited:
When I saw that, I had to chuckle.

Looks like Black Argillite. A really nice Salt Water Point!


Thanks! Probably 70 % of artifacts here are made from basalt, and this is one of them.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom